“Nice but quiet hostel”
Review of Schlafmeile Hostel

Schlafmeile Hostel
Ranked #435 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We stayed here 3 nights and chose it because it was a New Zealand hostel and we are both kiwis. The kiwi owner was really helpful and nice but the other staff didnt appear to be very happy or friendly. Hostel was impecably clean and the owners daughter has done artwork on the walls which is nice.

The hostel is really quiet and unsociable, this was probably because the hostel is quite far away from where all the action is. The centre is easy to get to via public transport.

The staff were careless with the allocation of beds in the room and my boyfriend and I had to share a single bed one of the nights because someone took his bed and we werent sure if the other beds were free and reception was closed when we got home at night so we couldnt inform them. A numbering system for the bunk beds might be a good idea.

Personally I wouldnt return again, but the hostel is ideal for people who enjoy a quiet stay away from the hustle and bustle. We also found the street to walk down uneasy at night and a bit far

• Stayed: September 2011

Reviewed 27 July 2011

All in all disappointing. The main guy, was a average to poor host, who did not give us useful advice on nightlife, we had better luck just heading out and finding stuff ourselves. We were overcharged for a room, as one guy did not show up so we had to pay for his bed still (though someone else then took it even though je charged us for it) We never found the cheap breakfast offered, and office hours are bad, especially if you leave early or arrive late, as you then wave goodbye to key deposit. Location is not bad, though better can ne found, and the rooms where clean.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I have never written a review and am generally satisfied, but this time I have to make an exception.

Our flight is late, we arrive at 11:15pm and reception is closed. We are told by a patron to wait and see if they show up. We wait until 2am, then end up having no option but to stay at a hotel. This is understandably not their fault, but the drama ensued from this.

First thing next morning we check in and they tell us the room has ben given away. The hostile worker then says "ok maybe you will be lucky" and takes us to a room. We were "lucky" and were given 2 beds.

that night we return after a day of sightseeing and the beds have been occupied. The occupiers tell us that they had checked in that night. As we have already paid for our beds and could not afford the steep price of a hotel again, we have no option
but to sleep on the floor.

Next morning, another hostile worker says it is our fault we checked in late and another worker didn't write it down. We are again given two different beds.

That night, one of the beds was occupied so again, one of us slept on the floor.

3rd day, we are told to leave by 11 and come back at 3 because the bed I had slept in the night before was booked and I had to change rooms. so, we are left with our bags, waiting around until 3 when we may have a place that WE HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR. I told the man at the desk that we one of us had not had a bed for the past few nights and he shrugged and said move your stuff out by 11.

The only positive thing I can say about this hostel is that the rooms are clean. The staff are hostile and unwilling to accommodate, and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Stay at wombats or at christophers, it will only be an extra 6 euro per night that you would spend on trains per day to commute to the centre.

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank rebecccy
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This hostel has everything you need - clean, nice wide beds, great location, friendly staff... And for the price they charge - it's brilliant value! Really recommend. Bit annoying that since there is only ever 1 person on duty, sometimes you can't find them - but that's a small price to pay for such a bargain. Bring your laptop or smartphone - they've got good WiFi, but only 1 computer to use.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I've been to Berlin five times (it's my favourite city) and I have always stayed at this hostel. Why? The prices are very reasonable, it's very close to the U+S Bahn (it's far from the centre but it's only 10 minutes by U-Bahn), it clean, comfortable, plus a great place to socialise in the common room and there are enough places to go out eating and drinking nearby.

But, more importantly Glen (the owner) and his staff are so friendly and helpful. For example on my second visit, I had booked for four nights but there was a problem with my booking and was only booked for two nights. However, Glen got on the phone and sorted out the remaining two nights at the nearby AO Hostel (nice but not as good).

I cannot visit Berlin again and not stay at this hostel, it's like a second home to me.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends