“Excellent location, highly recommended”
Review of Melia Berlin

Melia Berlin
Ranked #29 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
South of England
“Excellent location, highly recommended”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Spent 2 nights on a quick business trip at the Melia. Very easy to get to from the airport - just take the Airport Express train and get off at Friedrichstrasse (one stop past Alexanderplatz) and the hotel is less than a minutes' walk from the station. Access to the S Bahn, U Bahn, trams all within 2 minutes walk so the hotel is perfectly located in the centre of the city.

Lovely interior and very comfortable rooms. Had dinner at the tapas restaurant on the first night which was very good and reasonably priced. The only improvement that I could recommend would be to install wifi but will happily stay at this hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Doctor_P_UK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (659)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Good stay in the Melia.
The room view wasnt the best however the good rooms compensatyed for this.
When booking, I was almost certain that easytobook had said immediate payment was required becasue of the special rate. At checkout we had to pay our rate, but upon checkin my bank account, at booking we were not charged. So all was good.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Newcastle
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I booked the Melia Hotel after reading the good reviews on Tripadvisor, and also because it is close to Friederichstrasse train station, which looked fairly straightforward to reach from the airport on the train. We were very pleased with our choice. The hotel is well located in "The Mitte", 5 minutes walk from Museum Island, The Reichstag and the Brandemburg Gate. The hotel can be reached fairly easily from the airport by the express train (25-40 mins depending on whether the train is direct) - that said, I researched the times and numbers of the trains before we left the UK, and I am pleased I did as it was not that obvious at the airport which train to get.
Our room was very clean and pleasantly furnished with a lovely bathroom. The beds were a little soft for our liking, but the linen was very clean and good quality, with a variety of different pillow types. Our room cost an average of £70 per night (we were there 3 nights over half term) excluding breakfast, which I thought was very reasonable given the standard of the hotel. Breakfast was initially priced at 22 euros per person per day, which we declined, as this is well above what I am prepared to pay. However, after discussion with the staff on reception, we found that if we applied for a "Mas" card (the hotel chain reward scheme - free to join), breakfast was discounted to 11 euros. We thought this a pretty good deal, and I have to say the breakfast was of a very high standard. I could have scoffed the whole fresh bread table! As we booked the room direct through the hotel website, we also benefitted from a special offer of 15 euros per person per day to spend in the hotel (excluding breakfast). We ate in the tapas bar one night, and spent the rest on drinks in the bar, both of which were very nice. There was even a pianist playing one night which I love. Unfortunately, the following night they screened the football in the bar instead, but this did at least please my husband!
Staff were helpful and friendly, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This hotel has good reviews and I can see why

Location: right in the middle of mitte, perfectly located for all the sights, good restaurants, pubs, shopping. By the river as well. As someone else said, the trams are noisy going past, but they were here long before the hotel, so not sure what you expect them to do about that!
Easy to get to the hotel, the TXL bus stops nearby, there are also tube stops very close.

Rooms: Room was spacious and comfortable. I was in a normal room, not the level, but was still excellent. Only minor gripe was lack of tea or coffee making facilities in the room and the choice of TV channels was rather limited.
But then again, you probably are better off going out the hotel anyway

I ate in the Tapas restaurant and it was excellent, Didn't eat in the other restaurant, Breakfast choice was large and was excellent.

Service generally was excellent on check in and out. I took advantage of the 15 euro per day offer, be warned they need the actual print out with the booking number, and you claim it back when you check out so make sure to mention it as they won't take it off automatically.

All in all an excellent hotel, Berlin is a great city and if I did come back I would recommend staying here again,

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Melia is a great hotel, especially if you like Spain, or Spanish influence. The bar is expensive and the tapas are not any good. But the rest of the hotel is great, good location, calm, good staff, ok room.... but for me the worst is internet.... I mean really, come on!! 2012 and the internet cost a fortune per minutes, or hour or day. And they do not even have free machine in the Lobby!!!!! So for me this hotel goes from 5 to 3. Give me free internet and then it is in the top of my list in Berlin. Not only they obviously try to steal money for you with the internet prices, but the all thing just give a bad image to the hotel. "Come to hotel Melia, we are nice and professional but we are trying to get as much money from you as we can". From 4* and all around the world internet must be free, and of story! People need to Skype their girlfriend, read the news from their home country, send a business email, explore a card before going around in the city, download a map, upload Facebook pictures to share the good trip with the community, etc, etc, etc, in few word 2012! So Melia I will come back to Berlin but never to you because of your greedy internet move (Also the bar ;) )

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends