“Great location and lovely rooms”
Review of CALMA Berlin Mitte

CALMA Berlin Mitte
Ranked #6 of 193 Berlin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 September 2017

I stayed here for five nights. The hotel is very close to transportation as well as many restaurants. The room is lovely and spacious. Mine was over the courtyard, so it was reasonably quiet. I couldn't hear anything from the surrounding rooms, which was nice. The breakfast selection appears small, but actually there are many tasty options. It is on the expensive side, but there are many places nearby that offer breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 September 2017

Room was basic, but cleaned everyday. No air conditioning but had a clean neutral layout and large windows. Great location 2 minutes walk to Orienburger Tor S Bahn Station and local cafes and breakfast places. in hotel wi fi speed was good and front desk staff very helpful and could speak English well. Hotel had bikes to rent and walking distance to Spree River and many things to see. Would stay again no problems.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Jennifer S, Leiter Gästebetreuung at CALMA Berlin Mitte, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Dear Michael,

thanks for your feedback! We are happy you enjoyed your stay that much. The CALMA Berlin Mitte combines the quiet sleep and the good location in Mitte.
So we look forward to your next stay!
Greetings from Berlin,
Jennifer
Guest Relation

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Originally I was thinking that this would be a decent, 3 star budget hotel, but after my 5-day stay it was certainly more like 2 stars. I feel bad writing this because I'm generally a low maintenance traveler but this was just a poor experience.

On the positive, the location was great. Great walk (20 mins?) to Brandenburger Tor and museum island. Close to the underground! Also very close to a lot of food places! Room was tiny (like, really tiny corner room), but clean when we got in. So that was all good.

Two of the MAJOR factors affecting this rating were:

1. No safe in the room. In order to lock your valuables (passport, computer, whatever), you had to leave it in a safe with the hotel desk attendant. Nothing makes me feel more uncomfortable than having to leave it with other people, when it could be safely locked in the room.

2. The staff. Two of three front desk women during our stay were a little cold and uninformed. One was nice and helpful, but one had no idea what to recommend/what was around the area when we asked on the first night. That's not a big deal, but certainly a little strange when you work in a hotel in the Mitte neighbourhood (great location, really). The other was a bigger problem - while I was getting a table for breakfast at a restaurant a little far away, my partner thought it would be romantic to rent bikes. It would have been very romantic, unfortunately I am apparently well below the average height of usual bike-renters because it was just way too big for me. It was a struggle to hop on the seat and then, when braking, my feet could not touch the road which is an issue in Berlin where you often have to stop abruptly for traffic lights. Anyway, that's a safety issue and since i had no intention of getting recklessly injured on vacation, we walked back the bikes AFTER breakfast. This was probably my fault but I was hungry and wanted to eat. Granted, about 1.5-2 hours had passed because we locked them outside, and ate. So after getting to the hotel, I asked the woman at the front desk if she had any smaller bikes, explained that (as she knew, because she rented them to my partner), I didn't have an opportunity to sit on the bike before it was rented. She took me outside and aggressively tried to steer me toward different bikes, all which were the same height. She asked me to sit on the bike that was originally rented, because maybe I wasn't doing it right (it was a little ridiculous, very patronizing, and kind of embarrassing). It was very obvious that the bike was ludicrously big for me (I'm 5"3, by the way). First she told me that all guests were supposed to try them before renting, and when I pointed it out that she rented two bikes to my partner despite there being one person, she got bristly. She said she didn't have any that would be a good fit, so I asked if I could get a refund, since obviously we would not be able to use them. She refused, and eventually I talked her into refunding HALF the amount. The money isn't a huge issue - it was more the distrust and patronization that really bothered me. Something that was supposed to be a fun experience just left both me and my partner feeling bad. I'll certainly be complaining to the hotel parent company, but that experience was awful and I think it's valuable to know for anyone wanting to stay there.

3. Other minor things - there's no fridge in the room. That might be a problem for travelers with kids, wasn't a big issue for us because we barely spent time in the room. The breakfast is ridiculously expensive (especially for germany), and not very expansive. In short: not worth your money when there are a ton of wonderful breakfast spots in Mitte, as well as bakeries. Another issue was with cleaning - there's a paper in the room that says they change your towels after 3-5 days, or if they're found on the floor. I had an unexpected nosebleed after taking a shower one morning, a spot of blood got on the towel. I figured I'll put it on the floor, it'll get laundered, we'll get a new towel. Came back later that day, and the same towel was folded in the bathroom, the bloody spot just on the inside, where it wasn't visible until I opened up the towel ???¿¿

In short, would not recommend. Would've stayed somewhere else, but the reviews were mostly good. Anyway, hindsight is 20/20.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Jennifer S, Leiter Gästebetreuung at CALMA Berlin Mitte, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Dear Maria,

thank you very much for your honest and detailed feedback concerning your stay with us.
We are already in direct contact with you to analyze our problems and would like to invite you for your next stay in one of our hotels in Berlin.

Of course we want all our guests to feel comfortable and in good hands with us and our colleges. So we really need to improve this!

Thanks for this open criticism so that we can correct our services.

Best wishes and please keep our direct contact so that we can clear everything in detail.
Jennifer (Seeckt)
Guest Relation

Reviewed 31 July 2017

This small hotel is situated in a very central location, near the train station and very close to the center. Excellent choice if you want to walk around the traditional berlin sighseeing and tons of restaurants, market etc. The only bad thing was at that time due to renovation there was no breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Jennifer S, Leiter Gästebetreuung at CALMA Berlin Mitte, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Dear Vasilis, thanks for the feedback and we are happy you enjoyed your stay although you could not get any breakfast! But please get back to us at any other time. Now the lobby and breakfast area is brand new!
We look forward to!
Best wishes,
Jennifer Seeckt
Vertrieb & Guest Relation

Reviewed 14 July 2017

This is a small but perfectly formed hotel in the heart of the Mitte district of Berlin.

Good points
1. Great location - lots of bars, restaurants, transport nearby, but in a fairly quiet street
2. Immaculately clean - and comfortable
3. Good breakfast - usual cheeses; meats; breads; juice; coffee and cooked eggs and even a frankfurter if you're desperate
4. Amazing staff - just can't do enough for you in a cheerful but non-pushy way. Nicest hotel staff I have encountered in a long time

Things to watch for
1. Building works opposite the hotel - noisy from 07:00. Ask for a room at the back to avoid losing sleep
2. Entrance is hard to find - its through a courtyard - taxi driver had never heard of it!
3. Hotel locks up at 10:30pm - you get a key to a side door but reception goes home

Room Tip: Get a room at the back overlooking the courtyard - quieter