All reviews charlottenburg station room was clean bunk beds location is great desk
Reviewed 21 July 2016 via mobile

Hmm...well i should start with a few caveats:
I would avoid this hostel if you have any heavy luggage. They do not have a lift. I was unfortunate enough to be given a room on the 4th floor. It was not fun carrying my suitcase all the way up there at the height of summer.
Also, arriving at my room it was necessary for me to make my own bed. I consider this perfectly reasonable for a hostel of this type, however I was surprised the bedsheets were not Fitted Sheets. The inclusion of this would have made the task so much easier, especially as the mattress was partially obstructed by the bunk bed ladder.
As I said, the above are caveats only, and not reasons not to consider staying here....I'll start on those below:
On checking in, I was asked to make a deposit beforehand as a guarantee against the dorm room key. This again is something I considered perfectly reasonable, however €50 upfront in cash is, to put it mildly, excessive.
And then there is the towel situation. I have come to expect to need to rent a towel from reception, so I was pleasantly surprised to find a towel included with the bedsheets. On second glance however, it seemed a little small. On third glance it became clear it was a hand towel. Better no towel at all than this pitiful insult of a towel!
Let me talk about the windows in my room. The room was swelteringly hot so naturally we wished to open the windows. However, these could not be opened more than an inch, due to a metal bar which had been fitted across the windowframe. Completely uncalled for! I suspect they did this to people falling out, but there were better ways to guard against this!
I would not go here again.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

Arrived after a 5hr journey to have to wait 45 minutes before checking in. Then to be told that I need to find a cash point to pay the €50 for the key. After returning from the cash point I was second in line after another couple before a large group and more guests arrive waiting to collect their keys to go back to their rooms. The staff proceeded to serve these other guests rather than myself. I'm just ignored although it was very obvious I was there first. We are then shown the house rules which say our key (which I have just paid €50 deposit) must stay at reception when leaving the hostel. After all this frustration we are finally given our room key and told very quietly under the very loud music to go around the corner and up the first stairs. We arrive in our room after all this exhaustion and long journey to find that we are expected to make our beds as well as unmake them upon checking out. Ridiculous.
Looking for toilets is another joke at this 'hotel' there is 2 female and 1 male shower as well as 1 toilet for each located completely miles from each other and are quite hard to find in the day, never mind in the middle of the night.
After sitting in our room and hearing the floor above running around and people shouting in the corridor we then decide to explore the location which is a massive improvement on this poor excuse for a 'hotel'. When leaving try to hand the key in to reception to which the girl on the front says 'those rules are very old you just take the key and don't need to hand it in.'
All in all not impressed with the customer service after they know many guests will be tired travelling backpackers. And especially not impressed with the notion of needing to make and unmake my bed as I am here as a guest.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2016

The hotel (or hostel) has a great location. If you arrive from Tegel Airport, Bus 109 takes you directly there. You can also reach the S-Bahn station (S-Charlottenburg) and the U7 metro line (Wilmersdorfer str.) through 1-2 min. walking.
The place itself is very busy, many young tourists stay here for a few nights. I have stayed in a small room with two beds. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable.
The common toilet and shower could have some more cleaning, but all in all it's acceptable for a few days.
The rooms with a street side view are a bit loud at night, you should try to ask for a room from the inner side. There is a free wifi as well, but in the evening hours it is a bit slow.
The staff is helpful (the blonde girl in the red dress on 24/jun was really pretty :-) ).

Room Tip: Rooms without a view from the street are more quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2016

We stayed for one night in a dorm room with bunk beds. There is a sink and a big table with chairs, there is a set of gym-style lockers but we did not use them. You get to dress up your sheets, one towel is provided. The shared bathrooms are not very great but not because they're dirty, it's just the age of the whole building. An interesting thing in this hostel is the colorful lobby where you can hang out, beer and snacks are available at the reception, as well as some toiletries. The location is great, the nearby Kantstraße is full of various thrift shops and restaurants. The receptionist let us leave our bags a few hours before check-in which was of great help :)

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2016

I arrived at 22:00hs and just when i got in the place smelled horrible. A black woman took 20 minutes to talk with me and check me in. She didn't take card, and gave me back my money in a big pack small coins. She didn't even apologize about the fact that she had no keys for my room, and asked me to go and knock on the door myself. No elevator, really inconvenient if you have a suitcase. On the other side, at morning I found the morning staff very friendly and effective, and breakfast was great.

Room Tip: try to get something downstairs if you carry big suitcases
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo