“Good location, you get what you pay for”
Review of Berliner Hof Hotel

Berliner Hof Hotel
Ranked #157 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good location, you get what you pay for”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

After the initial chock of the poor quality of the room, I warmed up to the hotel. I had expected better quality but I guess in relation to the price it’s what you get. I had booked a single studio room, none smoking. The room was on the fifth floor and had a nice view. I'm pretty sure there had been smoking in the room before and as other hotels in Berlin, they try to hide it with some horrible sweet smelly spray. You can smell this throughout the hotel corridors and rooms. Part from the smell, the room was ok but don’t expect anything more than ok. It was clean except for the shower curtain which could use a wash. As reading other reviews about unfriendly staff I didn’t notice this but I didn’t have much interaction with them. I didn’t order the breakfast, I found the price too high and I had a quick look in the breakfast area and it didn’t look like it's worth it. I agree with previous reviews about a s a lovely bakery just down the street and you always have KadeWe which is good for food. The location of the hotel is great. You are close to u-bahn and s-bahn.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 30 January 2012

All ok except I booked a family room, but because I ACCIDENTALLY also clicked on 2 people instead of 3 on the booking website, I was given a double room with an extra cot bed at an extra charge of 35 Euro a night! The receptionist (Julian) only had to focus on one part of the booking to find an excuse to make my booking difficult. He COULD have paid attention to the part where i said "Family Room" but instead he ONLY acknowledged the number of people! I had also had an extensive email conversation prior to my booking with one of the reservation team who recommended I book a family room for 3 adults. Despite evidence of this Julian just smirked at me and charged me the money for the extra bed in a double room. Totally unfair and just pedantic. Despite the hotel being reasonably priced in a central location, I would NOT recommend the Berliner Hof based on this ridiculous and illogical treatment.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
samuelbraun, Manager at Berliner Hof Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Dear Guest

We are very sorry, that you had the impression of being treated very rudely.

We understand that mistakes with online reservations can happen, especially with the all the different websites and booking procedures available. We apply the same policies to all booking channels, online and offline. Julian applied those policies. Our team is trained to high levels of service quality and your issue will be discussed with the whole front desk team.

Kids and Families are very welcome at the Berliner Hof Hotel. Children up to the age of 16 will be accommodated in the parents' room free of charge, additional adults will be charged 35€ per person per night. Children also get our breakfast buffet for free, if accompanied by one full paying adult.

The Family rooms can accommodate up to five guests. These rooms are equipped with a double bed, a single bed and a sofa bed.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Best Regards

Anja Honzal
Managing Director
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I stayed at this hotel Nov 27th -02 Dec. My room was on 5th floor and I could not fault it. it was large clean and warm. the hotel staff were very helpful and friendley The hotel is in a great location and short walk from Zoo Garten train station. I would certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pearl J
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 November 2011

hotel was clean and very nice. terrific location. reasonable prices. front desk was pleasant and helpful, also spoke good english

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed here in October for a work conference, and asides from a good location (main street near the subway), this ‘hotel’ can only be described as horrific. Entrance into the hotel is under a shop doorway and smells of urine, the rooms are unbelievably awful – I think I had blood stains on my carpet. The rooms are large, and the sheets seemed clean, however the room itself hasn’t be touched since the 80’s, and the carpets haven’t been cleaned. The walls were covered in suspect stains, the carpet – I’ve mentioned, and the bathroom – well, good luck. It reminded me of the room for Saw I.

The reception staff are below standard too. Difficult, unqualified and unhelpful.

For the price you pay - +100 euros – you’re better off staying at the Mark Apart apartments which are a 10 minute walk away.

Avoid like the plague if you cannot handle to slum it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Clairege
samuelbraun, Manager at Berliner Hof Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback.
Please accept our apologies for not being able to meet your requirements this time.

The Berliner Hof Hotel had gone through an extensive renovation in 2009.

We are also currently shampooing all carpets in all rooms with a special method to ensure utmost cleanliness.

We have very high service standards and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. We are constantly training our staff to guarantee best possible service.

Our room rates start as low as 55€ per night and vary depending on high seasons. We are confident about our value for money. Please contact our reservations department for our best available rate.

Kind Regards