“Cheap but really small- felt like I was in a Youth Hostel instead of a hotel”

ECONTEL HOTEL Berlin Charlottenburg
Ranked #275 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 24 January 2011

We stayed at this hotel after using the German Train station travel agent. He suggested this hotel telling us it was a 3 star location. It was far from 3 stars in my book. I will say it was clean and the staff was very friendly. The room was crazy small and not at all suited for small kids with 2 beds being bunk beds. All were twin size. The pillows were flat and lumpy. The bathroom was like being in an RV. We are not large people and my shoulders bumped the walls while in the loo and shower... The rails on the bunks were cardboard like wood- not very safe for a 5 year old to sleep in. We asked for a larger room but they said they could not help. We had a tough time getting the TV to work. When it did decide to turn on we couldn't really see it because the bunk bed blocked the view. The breakfast was very good. It seemed fresh with lots of choices and the staff was nice in the restaurant and at the front desk. My reason's for the low marks are the size of room- lumpy beds and pillows. It was also very cold. It seemed as though the heat cut off after 7pm. We had our heat turned up to the max and still were chilly.
There were a few ethnic type restaurants nearby and it was very close to the bus/train stop. I found this part of Berlin to be a bit dirty and run down compared with other parts of town that we saw. Lots of litter/broken glass ect. If you are looking for clean and cheap this is for you. If you are looking for a 3 star hotel....HA!! it's NOT! The photos posted on this site are exactly what our room looked like. Not at all like the official photos of their rooms. I will say that the rest of the hotel did look like the photos just not our room LOL!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SpotTVMom

Reviewed 22 January 2011

I stayed here for a week and was very happy with my choice. We got a room overlooking the back lot which was okay because it was quiet. There's a large grocery store in the same block which is very convenient. Bus stops and underground stations are near, so that's covered also. The neighborhood is quiet and if you don't mind staying out of the city center this just might be the place for you. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Farandout
Reviewed 4 January 2011

i really liked the hotel, its not in the center but very close to the metro and we had living close by so we didnt mind. The room was spacious, clean, the price was really good and the food was reasonably priced. We tried the breakfast is not really great but you can choose not to take it so we would go to the supermarket next door and buy a cappuccino and a cake. Lovely stay!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2010

We spend a couple of days in this hotel during the summer of 2010 to visit Berlin. The hotel is located in a quiet, friendly area and it is very close to the subway station Mierendorffplatz. From there, you can easily explore the Western part of the city, or take the subway to Charlottenburg where you can take the S-Bahn to other important parts of Berlin.The staff and service was very friendly, they even offered us a bussiness room allthough we only paid for a regular tourist room.
The breakfast was outstanding, like most of the times in German hotels. The rooms were ok and clean, but a bit on the small side. There was hardly enough space to put the suitcase on the floor and the shower was pretty cramped too.
The biggest issue with this hotel is the lack of airconditioning; this can become problematic during the hot summer months. Luckily, our window was on the backside of the hotel, so we could open it during the night and we didnt hear any traffic at all.
Overall, a good experience!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jb-tb
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Last summer I went on a trip with a program at my University (I am a college student), and we stayed here our first two nights. It was not my first time in the European countries so I was accustomed to how lodging is different than in American hotels. While some, shall we say less-traveled people found the rooms a bit on the small side, I thought that by European standards, the rooms were fairly spacious and comfortable. Being a part of a tour group meant that we were not in the hotel very much, nonetheless it was comfortable enough for me to get sleep after 36 hours of being awake (I don't sleep on planes!)

The only real complaint I had was the street traffic noise. As this was not in a completely busy neighborhood, I wasn't expecting the noise to be that loud. However, when you were as tired as we were by the end of the day, it didn't bother you THAT much. Other than that this hotel was very good! I felt that the staff was very helpful and most of them spoke English very well. The breakfast was spectacular and much more than other European breakfasts I have had! I also enjoyed the convenience of the hotel. It was only a block or two from the Mierendorfplatz metro station and was very close to the "busy" area of Berlin! Also it was convenient to have a ReWe right next to the hotel in case any water or snacks were needed. Overall a wonderful stay though!!

• Stayed: June 2009