“A REAL DISAPPOINTMENT”

Wyndham Berlin Excelsior
Ranked #317 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 29 August 2017

I had made reservations through Secretescapes for this hotel from August 24th-August 27th and I wanted to relay my experience to you. I was under the impression that I would have a “luxury” room, different than the others, upgraded to a better than “standard” room because that is what was advertised on Secretescapes site. I arrived at 1.30 am at the hotel and was told they were giving me one of their best rooms, 132. I went upstairs to see that the room was small, had a very narrow window and that the bathroom was much smaller than most hotel bathrooms I have been to, and that the wallpaper on the walls was old and peeling off in places, the door needed to be re-polished or re-painted, there was amateurishly applied caulking around the bathtub (not even a walk in shower). I went downstairs and told them I was not sleeping in that room. The gentleman in the reception assured me that all the 1st floor rooms were the updated rooms and that he would see if there was another room available on that floor. So they gave me room #132. Bigger window, slightly bigger room, same size bathroom and same condition. When I went to bed one of the pillows had a spot that was sticking to my face, so I immediately took towels and placed them on the pillow!
The next morning I went to the reception again and told them that it was unacceptable for me to stay at that room. After a lot of discussion, they agreed to give me a “junior suite” on the 8th floor. I was happier with the room since it had a balcony and was somewhat like a suite. However, at night, because there is no door to the living room part of the room from the bedroom, and the dark drapes do not cover all the windows, you can see light from your bed! The last night, I needed to put the Air Conditioning on as it was rather a hot night. After 10 minutes I kept hearing a ringing noise… I called the reception after checking both telephones in my room and asked them if they were calling the room next to me. Explained that there was a ringing every 30 to 60 seconds which didn’t allow me to sleep. They said they would look into it. Half an hour passed, the ringing continued and I called back, and was told this time that I needed to turn off the AC… I did. The ringing still continued. I called again and was told that it was coming from main AC room and that there was nothing they could do except change my room. It was 2.00 am by this time and I was supposed to wake up at 5.30 to catch a very early flight so I told them I would stay.
The day before a friend of mine had arrived to join me in Berlin and she had been given room 636. After hearing the reception telling me that the rooms on the first floor were the best, I wondered what her room was like, and went to visit her room, to see to my amazement that it was a bigger room than the 130 and 132 that I had been told were the best rooms when I first arrived.
I know that Secretescapes cannot control every hotel and how they handle the clients, but to sell an inferior room as a “luxury” room online, and lie about it is not good business for the long term. I will probably never believe what I see on Secretescapes.com from now on. The Wyndham Excelsior Berlin is really a dump if you compare it to all the incredible hotels that are available in Berlin and around Europe. This hotel does not deserve 4 stars.

Room Tip: Only acceptable rooms are on the 8th floor.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Excelsior_Hotel_01, General Manager at Wyndham Berlin Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Dear guest Ligia J, Thank you for your honest and constructive feedback on your recent stay with us. We thank you sincerely for helping us to recognize where we stand and that we could not satisfy you in any way; on the contrary, we were so shocked that our reception team was wrong. Here, we drew the consequences and trained all employees once again. Excuse me. Please contact Mr. Kaiser or me personally. Yours sincerely, Andrea Sudfeld

Write a ReviewReviews (2,240)

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

Room was normal, but aircondision doesnt workr well. Air or the room was very "wet" all my staying (4 nigths). Room cleaning was made only 2 times at my staying. Breakfast was ok, but nothing special. Service was ok and good logation.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Excelsior_Hotel_01, General Manager at Wyndham Berlin Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Dear guest Tee J, many thanks for your rating. Information of our guests is extremely important in order to improve our service steadily. We are sorry that you were not 100% satisfied with us, we will work on it. Please visit us again. Yours, Andrea Sudfeld

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Nice hotel, room was nice and calm, like the bathtub. It needs an update though as it does not meet thesedays standards. Service upon checkin was not welcoming and checkout was quite messy, as I needed to do the payment with someone else. Also this guy did his job but he was not guest friendly.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
Excelsior_Hotel_01, General Manager at Wyndham Berlin Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Dear Guest juuld851, Thank you for your review and the review.
The information of our guests is extremely important in order to constantly improve our service, especially if you have not experienced the assistance of our TEAMS. We once again pointed out and trained our employees. We hope you visit us again to get a different impression and convince us of our actual service. Kind Regards your Excelsior TEAM

Reviewed 17 August 2017

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
Excelsior_Hotel_01, General Manager at Wyndham Berlin Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Reviewed 17 August 2017

This hotel offers a great location - near to the Zoo, friendly staff, clean and elegant rooms!
You can find a lot of sops nearby and if you wish to go around the city, you can take a bus near the hotel!
I might say that is a very simple and cozy hotel where I felt very good! If I would ever go back to Berlin, I would for sure take into account Wyndham Berlin Excelsior!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alexandrada2017

Dear guest alexandrada2017, Thank you very much for your fantastic comment regarding our hotel. Especially we are very pleased with the praise of a 10 points. A more beautiful gift than your feedback does not exist and we are looking forward to welcoming you again . Thanks and best regards your Andrea Sudfeld