See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This is the best deal in Berlin. Period. Great old chocolate factory building converted into charming little hotel. Just 4 large, lovely rooms so don;'t wait. Only 40 euros a night. Great bakery around the corner for breakfast. Owner Angela watches over everything 24/7 to make sure everything OK. Great location to get everywhere. Bathrooms are right outside rooms but there are three large ones with huge deep tubs and showers. They even give you free chocolate.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I spent one week in Schokofabrik and was absolutely satisfied. It was really comfortable stay. Mrs. de Ridder is maybe a forceful and decisive person, but fair and pleasant. Rooms and bathrooms are clean, the view to the courtyard with trees is great. Landwehrkanal is just 100 meters from the house, with nice tracks for jogging, places for picknicks and so on. Not far away is very good turkish "Imbiss" Imren (http://www.imren-grill.de/) visited mainly by Turks. Do not hesitate to go to Schokofabrik.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jakub J
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I arrived in the evening and happened to meet a young guest who was leaving the building as I went in. I asked if this was Angela's place and she said "yes" but warned me that "She is a very hard woman." I said that she'd seemed friendly on the phone but the girl just shook her head and left as if to say she's done her best and I'd been warned. I went upstairs, rang the bell and Angela answered with a smile and asked me to come in. She showed me to my room which was large and clean and then took me around the place. I found Angela to be straightforward but certainly pleasant and the impression I got was of a someone who runs a tight ship with care and consideration for her guests. The toilets and showers were all kept clean and there was wireless internet as well as a computer terminal and printer freely available. My only complaint is that the wireless was off when I got in after dinner but it came on again in the morning. I don't know if that was normal procedure of if there had been a fault. I will certainly stay there again when I visit Berlin and recommend the place to my friends. Thanks Angela!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Tearecords
Reviewed 28 August 2012

The place is a wonderful blend of genuine "Berlin-flair" and hospitality! Your right in the heart of things with both an extraordinary market and the picturesque Landwehrkanal just around the corner. An old Berlin-style, formerly factory-buildung turned into some sort of a fairy tale sprung out of 1001 nights. Just the place to recover from a long night - even if that might have ended long after sunrise...
The hospitality is "Southern Italy-style"; and for someone who - like me - has traveled the Mezzogiorno for years and years that's highest praise. If you keep to the rules, there will be found a way to help you. To cut a long story short: one of the rare places that give you the impression of "coming home"!
After two stays - one with good friends and one (unfortunately!) alone - I can only say that I'll return. asap :-)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Uwe-Georg
Reviewed 17 November 2011

The woman owning and running the place is really unfriendly and unpleasant. The experience becomes very bad just because of this as you feel in bad mood whenever you are there. She is completely aware of this and she openly says she does'nt fear negative opinions! There are so many similar places with normal people that I strongly recommend not going to Schokofabrik.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple