“Interesting experience, well worth a try”
Review of Ebe Ano

Ebe Ano
Ranked #4,684 of 9,465 Restaurants in Berlin
Neighbourhood: Charlottenburg
Neighbourhood: Charlottenburg
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

This was our first time to eat Nigerian food and it was well worth a try.
We ordered plantain and warm salad to start with, which were both enjoyable appetizers. The main dishes were beef and vegetables in peanut sauce as well as beef with some spicy rice and sauce. Both dishes were delicious and I could have ordered some more. According to the audience (many Africans), I assume that the food is authentic.
The service was quick and the staff very friendly with the chef doing the dishes himself. The menu is a bit confusing: a lot of choices and descriptions we weren’t familiar with, so one should take time with the order.
It’s a pity that this restaurant doesn’t serve lunch as it opens only at 4pm. But anyway, I would always eat there again. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 21 March 2018

I was recently at this restaurant where I dined with my wife and a friend who had flown in from the UK on a wintery weekend in Mid-March, 2018. We were invited out by a goup of Africans in the Diaspora who reside in Berlin. Though, I didn't know what to expect initially, it turned to be a very welcoming atmosphere with funky-but-not-too-loud music; polite and patient middle-class youngsters waiting the tables. Ebe-ano (a double-barreled colloquial Igbo language word) which loosely translated means 'Where People Stay' actually lived up to its grandiose name. This restaurant with multiple dinning rooms in a quiet district of Berlin meets any challenge you can throw at it in terms of diversity. It has quite a large number of ethnically mixed customer base - the European customers who made up about 45% of guests were comfortably sitting and quietly enjoying their meal, while a cross-section of Africans in the Diaspora who were doing their doing their best in making Ebe-ano 'home from home'.

Service was amazingly very quick and efficient. I had pounded yam and a mixture of vegetable leaves as soup (a kind or variation of Afang soup with fish) while my wife, who is not a Nigerian, had Egusi soup which she absolutely loved. Mine was cooked to textbook perfection and couldn't have been done better. It was neither under nor overcooked ...not by even one second. It was indeed excellent and better than anything I could recall eating in any African eatery in London.

I also met the very boisterous and effervescent Proprietor/Chef who goes by his traditional African title, Chief Nnamani. He was very welcoming and friendly. On realisation that we had come from afar, he rolled out the cultural African welcoming protocol by bringing us the traditional African Kola and libation. He treats every customer with reverence, as if his livelihood depended on that individual but he then replicates the same to all friendly customers (Funny). What a personal and exclusive touch he brings to service.

Though, it feels a bit mean to say this - their food is slightly on the small side. A starving customer may need to ask for a double portion or else...

I will definitely recommend this restaurant and will be going back there on my next visit to Berlin; I just have to remember to ask the chef to be a bit more generous with his portion. The taste of food, general atmosphere, hospitality and service makes Ebe-ano second to none.

2  Thank Mike M
Reviewed 10 November 2017

My boyfriend and I visited EbeAno on a Sunday evening – the restaurant was relatively quiet bar a few other people but we were warmly welcomed by the staff, despite them being on their break. We had never tried Nigerian food before so were excited to try some new things – in the end we opted for some jollof rice, yams and the ‘spicy juicy meats’. The food was all excellent and portions very generous – the jollof rice was especially good! I would definitely visit EbeAno next time I return to Berlin – was a very tasty introduction to Nigerian cuisine and I'd love to try more!

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Very bad experience! Too expensive, slow service and the food was not good at all. We asked about a speciality (Nkwobi) and they told us it was only vegetables but it was only bones and bones of cheap meat and really spicy (nothing of that was indicated on the menu)
We told them we dindt like it and that we found they cheat in us: they made us payed for it eventhough we dindt eat anything!
We ahve tried several africans restaurants and this was the only one expensive and that tastes bad, i lost my appetite after tasting that home speciality.
Even the orange juice is not natural.
We were alone, now we know why.
Not recommended at all! We payed a lot of money for nothing!

Reviewed 12 June 2017

Great place with very friendly staff and delicious food. Their goat pepper soup and friend plantains are amazing. Really the best I have ever had, including in Nigeria. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Gatto3579