“Would definitely go back and recommend”
Review of Pension Marienburg

Pension Marienburg
Pension Marienburg
Ranked #96 of 194 Berlin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2016

This is a family owned buisiness. The women (the mother) speaks only german but doesnt hesitate to call her son to interpret if needed and is really funny and good with trying to understand your sign language hehe

You will live in an appartment building, each appartment they own has about 4 rooms with locks on doors and a shared bathroom. The location is between aiport and city center and the access by public transport is really easy. You have to walk less then 10 minutes from the train/ metro station, and it is in a safe and quiet district. I was travelling alone and came back really late and felt safe. There is many restaurants around and a supermarket less then 10 minutes walk. You will have a table and a mini fridge in your room, which is really appreciated from budget travellers like me ! You will get free wifi and the quality of the signal is really good.

My room was really small, but I travel alone and for me it is perfect. I had the smallest, I've seen a really big one for two people just next to mine... The place has poor insonorisation, but as I said, it is in a quiet district. Also, I was there for a week in total and always had some respectfull neighbors and had no problem at all with the noise at night.

When I got in Berlin, I was supposed to stay at this place 3 nights. I got robbed at the airport and was left with no papers except a credit card. They accepted me without my papers and waited for me even if it took me forever to get out of the police station. I was glad they could accomodate my for 2 more nights because I didnt had my passeport and they even made me a special price.

I left for Italy and came back to sleep the night before I left. Because of a strike of the flight controllers I was more then 2 hours late and sent a message to them saying I would be at the airport late and hope they could wait for me... Well you know what ? The owner came to pick me at the airport at midnight... A 45 minutes drive for him on each side... When you have the worst trip of your life, meeting some people like that, that are so nice, it means the world to you. It really helped me get through all the nightmare and it feel like some friends wanted to help me. I am really thankful to them.

I highly recommend this place for you !

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Espionne_Russe

Reviewed 12 October 2015 via mobile

The Pension Marienburg was perfect for our stay. We had some difficulties with traveling but Dimitri waited at reception until midnight for us to arrive so we could access the room. Our room was very homely and spacious and well priced. Exactly what we wanted! Maria at reception gave us all the information we needed to get around Berlin from the nearby station we also left some valuables behind which the staff notified us about and organized them to be returned to us once we had arrived gome. Will definitely be back

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arsenal121
Reviewed 1 July 2015

Pension Marienburg is less than 10 minutes walk from Lichtenburg station where there are S-Bahn & U-Bahn trains and 2 trams routes making it very easy to get around Berlin, the S-Bahn tkes about 15 minutes to get to Alexanderplaz in the city centre. The hotel itself is situated in one of the apartment blocks which are a feature of the Berlin suburbs, I had a shared bathroom which wasn't too much of a problem, this is reflected in the price which was a bargain especially for a city like Berlin. The breakfast was good, fresh rolls from the bakery opposite and the price again was a bargain. The location suited me as the event that I was attending was in Lichtenburg.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Excellent value hotel, £37 / 45 EUR for two nights. Really great.
The room I had was very spacious, clean and pleasant. Nice and warm once the heating was turned up, too. The shared bathroom was not a problem, as there was only myself and one other guest using it. And the shower was a really good one! Always a bonus!
At first glance on a map, the hotel does seem a bit far out from Mitte/Alexanderplatz but the S-Bahn is very close and the service is excellent so there's really no problem.
Also, no requirement to speak any German. The staff that I met spoke enough English to understand each other and most places around the city have English speaking staff.
The only (slight) issue was the entrance, as I think it used to be an apartment and the reception is in a different building (15 metres away) but nothing problematic.
Overall, the Pension Marienburg is highly recommended, primarily for the great value it offers.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank AnonymousSpine
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I book this pension few days ago, one bed with toilet inside the room!!!
For 30 Euros per day + 5 euros breakfast = 105 Euro for 3 days.
I get the confirmation and next day i start (600km) travel with my car.
Finally around 18:00 O'clock i was there, in the Reception it was a very polite guy that he Was not speak English even a word :)
So he take me to show me my room :(
My room was 2 doors after, in another building, the entrance it was more dirty than the street !!!
to go inside my room i have to unlock 3 doors :D (no its not a joke!!!)
Finally i was inside my room so happy that i will take a shower after 7 hours of driving that i didn't notice the most important think !!!
It was not toilet inside my room !!!!!
Straight i run to the reception to change me the room but the receptionist he was not speak English and us i understand he was not authorized to make this kind of thinks...
So i take a shower with people to knock my door because i was share the toilet with 2 more rooms (3-4 more persons)
The room has a double bed, wooden floor and one closet that i never open because i was not sure what i will find inside :D
When the people in the next rooms was walking, i was walking too :)
Anyway next morning i went to reception to ask from the owner to ghange me the room.
So one woman around 50 (that i am sure that she was the BOSS) she was pretending that she doesn't speak English at all.
So finally when she "understand what i was speaking to her, she say to me that the confirmation that i get in very clear written English, doesn't mean what every normal people think, but has another meaning... more deep for my mind :)
Its mean that you have to share the toilet with others !!!!
And if you want to have toilet inside your room you have to pay from 35 per day :)
So finally i went to eat my first super breakfast hopping that i will find another time somebody that he will speak English :)
The water for the coffee it was cold, the coffee it was under the table, it was 1 bred, 3 salami and 3 peace of cheese.... oh i forget :) and one egg that was not in the best shape :)
Oh, also the free parking is for the neighborhood and the free internet it was from somebody else and not from them because they didnt want to give me the password :)
So if you ask me if i will suggest you this Pension.... I will say to you that it is better to rent some tend or sleep under the buss station :)
at least you will not waste your time and your money !!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business