“Best Hax'n in Munich? Maybe!”

Altmuenchner Gesellenhaus
Ranked #1,039 of 3,853 Restaurants in Munich
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 December 2015

This is an oddity amid all the hustle around the Hauptbahnhof. In a back street close to all the sex shops, tourist traps and cheap eats, you encounter this very trad Bavarian anomaly. It's not a sales gimmick. Just, a sort of miniature beer hall, serving excellent food.
It's where I go in Munich for really good Hax'n, the crisped knuckle of pig served with a Dunkelbier gravy and dumplings. Much as I love the Schelling-Salon for its old-school ambience and the delightful, slightly stern ladies who wait the tables there, the Hax'n is better at the Gesellenhaus. And it's better than Munich's more famous and much more expensive places specialising in this very Bavarian dish.
It's not delicate food. It involves a lot of chewing and sucking and crunching, and a big bone to gnaw. But the gravy is wonderful, silkily, darkly unctuous, and the meat is juicily full of piggy flavour. The beer is either the Franzosischer Weissbier, or (better) the very under-rated Spaten, a very old Munich brewer which rather unfairly doesn't get the same kind of publicity as Augustiner or Hof, but whose bright, uncomplicated Helles is a delight to drink. It's a great lunch destination: as long as you don't have too many energetic plans for the afternoon.

Reviewed 2 December 2015

Surprisingly in a busy Bahnhof/railway station neighbourhood, to find a quite classy and nice restaurant. The setting is like an old German beer house, simplistic, comfortable. We had the famous veal Schnitzel, very nice, with cucumber potato salad, also well done. Service was friendly, the beer cold. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 14 November 2015 via mobile

We've eaten in this place three years in a row. It's close by our hotel and very convent. A little off the main streets but not that hard to find.
I had sausage plate and my wife had veal schnitzel. Both were excellent along with a beer yah.
This restaurant hosts some large gatherings as we've seen organized tour groups as well as local groups.
There has always been a seat and service has been good even when busy.
They have no wi-fi but did I mention they have beer?
You'll enjoy so give it a try.

Reviewed 10 November 2015

We have been coming to Munich as a group every November for the last 20 years. There's a regular trade show here. Most years we come to the Muenchner Gesellenhaus for one of our meals. It's close to the hotel. Good Bavarian food at good prices.

This time (November 2015) we noticed fewer people in what is usually a very crowded restaurant; could just be chance. The menu seemed smaller than usual. Has there been a management change? Anyway, the food was still good, schnitzel, sausages, pork knuckles, the usual stuff. No prizes for sophistication, but at around $40 per head for two courses and a couple of drinks, not bad. Service was good too.

Then time for the bill, and suddenly it's "sorry we no longer accept credit cards". OK, a few restaurants don't, but we checked and there was no sign on the door or windows. So cash it had to be, unless you have a European bank debit card (I do). This is the restaurant's choice, but they should at least make it clear before you eat. And if you come from outside Europe in a large group, someone needs to bring a ton of cash, or you'll be collecting it from each other and trying to keep track of who paid what.

There's loads of great Bavarian restaurants in Munich, so we'll probably pass on this one in future. I did politely tell that to the waiter and asked him to pass the message to his boss. I prefer to give both positive and negative feedback directly as well as on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 6 November 2015

I always have at least one meal in here when I come to Munich and usually stick to my old favourites. However I tried a couple of new things off the menu this time and enjoyed the black pudding with creamed potatoes and apple very much.