“good for backpackers needing convenient location, clean.”
Review of Achterbahn Hotel

Achterbahn Hotel
Ranked #345 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 29 August 2016

Very clean. Staff were very nice and friendly. Also given a city map on arrival which was so useful. No formal reception but there is a cafe below. There are key safes/number to call if your out of hours which might be a bit inconvenient. Couldn't find anyone to check out with in the morning so had to leave the key in the room and drop them an e-mail. Didn't have breakfast there so can't comment on that. Themed rooms were creative but on initially entering the place it looked a bit creepy as the walls are painted black. Good location for main station. Good for backpackers on a budget but not for couples. There was wifi but you had to log in again every 10 minutes.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 August 2016

I stayed there with three friends just for one night. I thought the hotel was just fine! It's true that they don't actually have a reception but the bar, which is were they do the check in, is just in front of the hotel.
The guy that received us was very helpful and ready for us at any moment. We called him when we got there and in 2 seconds he was there.
It's not the fancy, five stars hotel, but the rooms are very clean, and sufficiently big. We were staying in a four people bedroom, and they even let us leave in the room the bags (we arrived before the check in time).
Wifi was working perfectly.
When we left and picked up our backpacks in the late afternoon, we called the guy and again he was there immediately.
Location is great, it's five minutes from Theresienwiese (Oktoberfest), 10/15 from Karlplatz (where the city centre begins), and 5 minutes from both ZOB (bus station) and Hauptbahnhof.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

This place is great for travellers and backpackers who are staying in Munich for a few days or possibly just a week. Both the price and the location are spot on for someone only needing a room for passing by.

For the price you pay, the room and facilities are great. The added style and touch of design to the rooms also gave that extra bit when you're there. The only downsides I can think of are that the wifi to the room isn't great as it is supplied by the cafe which is the building next to the hotel. Also the beds are slightly uncomfortable due to the springs, however it is far from unbearable.

Overall the hotel price and location, combined with the friendly and warm welcome we received from the staff upon arrival makes me recommend this to anyone wanting to see Munich on a tight budget but also wanting good value.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2016

Our room was on the ground floor so we didn't have to go up any stairs with our bags, room was spacious and quiet, reception was closed but keys were left for us in a locked box

Neighborhood was a little sketchy after dark

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2016 via mobile

I was concerned checking in after hours would be difficult (the check-in times, location in the cafe and instruction to contact the hotel in advance were clearly noted when I booked), but the number is also posted at the door and they give you a code for the key by phone, so it was quite easy [I'd suggest just sending the code by email in the future though].  One of the hall lights wasn't working, so when I turned on the light for the stairs and saw the black painted walls with creepy (to me) religious items nailed to it, I almost ran back out the door - my room was named "anguish" after all!

The next level was still black, but with old black & white photos.  The upside is your room looks positively cheerful by contrast.  I'm finding that, regardless of size or age of the building, I appreciate a place that seems to care and this place does!  The bed was fantastic after the hard bed at my last place, although when I realized a knife-wielding plant was poised above my head like it was going to eat me and IT GLOWED IN THE DARK, I had a moment of pause again.  The Internet here worked great (it now works in the rooms) and was fast enough for everything I needed. Along with the key, they provided the WiFi info and a city map. I'd suggest earplugs though as the rooms can be a little noisy.

Overall, the place was great - slept well, clean, attention to detail and a 10 min walk from the main train station.  I'd return here.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo