“Beautiful”

Mullersches Volksbad
Ranked #2 of 38 Spas & Wellness in Munich
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Absolutely beautiful building and should be a must see for any trip to Munich.

2  Thank jwr1972

Reviewed 10 April 2012

If you're feeling saucy you might want to check out the sauna days, just beware some days it's women only. Also, be forewarned you'll have to leave prudish tendencies at the door. Going to visit the pool at a minimum is certainly worth it (evening hours are with suits). I don't think I've ever seen such a grandiose swim hall in my life.

2  Thank duellema
Reviewed 2 January 2012

The main swimming hall is worth seeing. The sauna area isn't.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

The Volksbad is a great place to spend a relaxing evening or afternoon. Two swimming pools in art deco halls, Steam room, dry sauna, wet sauna, warm pool, cold plunge pool and if you book one you can get a variety of massages at fair rates.

The building is great, they have towels for rent and Tues is women's day, not sure when mens day is but saunas are reserved for single sexes on those days. Fee is 14 Euro and well worth it.

You can also rent a "cabin" that has a day bed for resting, changing etc. Otherwise a basic locker comes with your fee.

Great break if you have sore feet from all the walking or just want a restful break - open till 11 at night, plan on spending a few hours.

2  Thank atravellingiwillgo
Reviewed 25 December 2011

I’ve been reading about these baths near the Deutsches Museum for several years as one of the ‘must do’ things in Munich. Having taken a liking to the sauna and therme tradition of Germany, and finding myself with a couple hours on my hands, I decided to give this historic location a try.

In all fairness, my wife and I have visited some very nice spas in Europe, so I admit that my opinion of THIS spa/schwimmbad/sauna is at least a little skewed, (Maybe even a bit harsh!) but still….

As you approach the building, it is quite imposing along the river banks (literally across the street from the Deutsches Museum). I thought, “this is gonna be great!” Once inside however, I found a few things to be more challenging than I had expected.

• I was unable to locate a map of the place, and after looking at the menu of fees; I still was unable to figure out exactly what I was asking for.
• The person working the admission booth was quite friendly, but apparently had NO English whatsoever. I’m good with that, but…
• Signage around the place was sort of hit and miss, especially since you have to leave some of your belongings in a small box near the attendant, (who also only spoke German, but was significantly more curt!)
• I kept thinking I would find a map of the place so I would know where the various baths and saunas were located. If such a thing exists, it’s still a mystery to me. At one point, I made my way into the hall with the main pool wrapped only in a towel, only to find the door (that would lead me back to the sauna) locked behind me. Finally figured out my wristband would unlock the door, after a bit of wondering how I would negotiate getting out of the spa in only a towel.
• But most importantly, assuming I found all the major features on offer, I was a little surprised there wasn’t more there. Granted, I was there on a Wednesday afternoon, but having said that, I was surprised to find the only two dozen or so other patrons in the entire place, and most of them were, shall we say, of the elder population.

All the reports about the beauty of the facility are true, as it was certainly a gem of the late 19th century, and has been well preserved. Somehow, I think that I expected there would be a bit more in the sauna area, and that even if exclusively in German, the staff would be a bit more helpful to a wayward and weary tourist.

Maybe three or four stars on another day with a different attendant working the locker room, but not this time around!

7  Thank PDCE-85