“Dreams do come true!”

Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Dreams do come true!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Everything including the weather was perfect. The authentic ethnic charm of a grand hotel,
(300 yrs. in the family) to the exquisite dinners served by my new favorite chef/owner Peter
Miller. The outstanding meals, service and ambience along with Peter's warm hospitality
and immense helpfulness made the trip unforgettable. Many thanks to Peter and his staff.
I only hope I get to return one day. (Stayed 6 nights, dinner each night was better than the last..Duck, trout, banana chicken, venison and liver).

Room Tip: Explain your needs and they will accommodate.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

Stayed here for one night, hadn't booked a room so we had to take what was left. We got a quite large room, but with a very old standard. It was comfortable, but it felt like it needed a restoration. We couldn't keep our bedlight on, because it was flickering and made strange sounds.

The restaurant served us an enjoyable meal in the evening. We got free parking and they had Wifi in the lobby. The staff was friendly and helpful, both in the lobby and the restaurant.

The breakfast was decent, but nothing special really. Nice view on a sunny day (we could imagine)..

Walking around in the many winding hallways, we got a slight "The shining"-feeling of the place. And apparently there were no real "no smoking"-sections since there was a scent of cigarette smoke pretty much everywhere.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

This is an older hotel that has held onto its charm well. It has a very nostalgic and old-world quality. I was drawn to it specifically because of how it reminded me of the better hotels I had stayed in while touring Germany as a boy. The staff is friendly enough, the rooms are clean, and it is a quiet hotel. However, the very best thing is the amazing views of the valley below and mountains beyond. Even if you don't get a front-facing room, you can enjoy the view from the semi-circular breakfast room each morning. The breakfast is excellent.

I have stayed in so many varying hotels in Europe and can tell you that the quality varies dramatically from one to the other. This is especially true when you you get to the smaller towns like Berchtesgaden where your choices can be confined to new-but-sterile hotels or to the gasthofs where some of the basic amenities are missing. Hotel Vier Jahreszieten fills in the gap between the two nicely. I did stay in the "new" wing (build around 1970) and am not sure I would have been especially impressed with the older wing which resembles a traditional gasthof. I also paid for a junior suite facing the valley which had a nice private balcony overlooking the valley and was not disappointed. Our suite had a large double walk-in closet off the front hallway which was again closed off from the sitting area and bedroom by another door, so that there was absolutely no noise from the hallway.

Every breakfast was a delightful experience, too, with the wonderful views and the friendly waitresses. I did not eat in the restaurant because I was surprised to see that the menu was not specifically German (which I wanted), but rather an eclectic mix of nationalities (that kind of menu doesn't appeal to foodies like me). The restaurant is charming in its decor, though, but as I passed by it each night I only saw elderlry people eating in it even though there were a range of ages staying in the hotel.

There are plenty of parking spaces in the area, too, and we did not have trouble finding a spot at any time despite it being the weekend. The train station is down at the foot of the hill that the hotel is on (never heard one train noise), but unless you are a back-packer with a light load you would want to get a cab to bring you up that steep hill.

My only complaints aren't bad ones, but should be mentioned. Upon check-in we were not warned about the many, many twists and turns and stairs. You have to carry your luggage from the parking lot up a flight of steps to even reach the reception. from there you take another flight of stairs, plus two or three more short flights of steps before you even reach the floor that has the elevator. Having a bad back, this was disconcerting for me as I got stressed when I became lost (the way the rooms are numbered and the paths to the various wings are very confusing). I had to abandon my suitcase and walk back down to ask for help.

The other complaint was that on Saturday night there was a lot of yelling on the street from a bar beside the hotel. This might not have been a problem if I had shut the door to the balcony, but being September, it was warm and I needed to keep the door open. The next night was absolutely quiet, though.

The bathroom was very large and spotless, but in much need of an up-grade. The pink tile and fluorescent lighting singed my eyeballs slightly and there was enough room to have put in a larger shower and to have closed off the toilet. But compared to bathroom in other hotels in Germany, this one was sufficient in design and much larger than most. It had that rare element in German design; the double-sink.

Over-all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Berchtesgaden. I enjoyed staying here, loved the views, and found walking easy as it is located at one end of the main drag (on the quieter end). It was an excellent base from which to explore the surrounding area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Toxoman
St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Centrally located in Berchtesgaden. Clean, comfortable and large rooms. Our room had a balcony with a fantastic view. The decor of the rooms is a bit dated. Located very close to the train station...up the hill!

manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

As always, wonderful stay at the 'Vier'. Peter and his team are experts! I just wish we could come here more often. The room was very clean, the breakfast choice was fantastic, reception very hepful and informative. The food in the restaurant was just amazing - still the best we have sampled just about anywhere.

Whilst I'm certainly not complaining, the weather was unbelievably hot whilst we were there; 30-35 degrees, and the rooms are not AC'd. Despite this, we did get enough sleep but if you tend to feel the heat or you're a light sleeper and the forcast is similar, ask for a room at the back, then you can open doors and windows at night without traffic bothering you. The lovely pool was a God-send, we used it so many times!

Love it, loveit, love it!

1 Thank Paul-SarahDougherty