“Lovely Hotel but Keys don't work and Spa is "Nude Only"”
Review of Hotel Edelweiss

Hotel Edelweiss
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Kildare, Ireland
“Lovely Hotel but Keys don't work and Spa is "Nude Only"”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This is a Lovely hotel in a great location. the rooms are nice, the food is good and most of the staff were very nice. We were a large group who went to Berchtesgaden to attend a family party(who live there) and we all had the same 2 complaints; 1: there seems to be a prob with electronic keys, on a number of nights we had trouble getting back into the hotel and there was no staff or security to let us in, and some of our party had trouble trying to get into their room at night, one person ended up having to sleep in the lobby as his key would not work, 1this is a big issue they need to address. 2: there is a nice sauna, jacuzzi, and pool on the 6th floor but can get crowded and noisy with kids, the one on the 5th floor is beautiful and peacefull but we could not use it unless we were nude, this is not something everyone is comfortable with so I feel it should be "optional", I have never heard of being asked to leave for wearing swimwear, I felt this unfair, it's not like choosing to go to a nudist beach, we paid our money for the use of the spa and were not allowed to use it uless we took our clothes off, this is a rule that needs to be changed so i hope more people email them to complian. It's a shame, as we are frequent visitors to this area and the Hotel is lovely.

Room Tip: This is a Lovely hotel in a great location. the rooms are nice, the food is good and most of the sta...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
11 Thank singer025

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 15 July 2011

This hotel is fantastic, and I don't say that often. It has the advantage of being new, but even so, everything is high quality and artistically decorated. My room had a view of the remains of the Eagles' Nest and the surrounding mountains. Because of the event I was attending I had a larger room than a single would normally occupy, but I'm sure the regular single rooms are just as nice. Some people who stayed on the pedestrian walkway side of the building complained that people were loud in the streets on Friday night, but the hotel cannot control this aspect. You might ask for a room on the regular street side (facing Eagles). The bed was very comfortable. No bathtub in my room, which isn't unusual in Germany.
The breakfast was great, lots of choices and everything fresh and tasty. They have many dining areas with about the same menu. I had the schnitzel (veal) a couple of time and the first one was a little wimpy on size, but my second one was of a goodly portion. I guess it depends on who is cooking. I tried a pizza and it was ok, I guess I have been spoiled by the ones in Italy.
WiFi internet is free in the lobby, but for some reason they only have wired internet in the rooms. I guess this is the only minus. I couldn't get the wired internet to work on my laptop. Since I had other internet connections available I didn't request assistance to see if they could get it to work for me.
I tried out the pool and outdoor whirlpool. The pool was the perfect temperature, and the whirlpool was lukewarm (which was fine for the weather). I was expecting a hot tub so it was a little surprising. However, the cooler temperature allowed me to soak longer and take in the magnificent view of the mountains. This was a true place of relaxation and peace. While I didn't try them, there is another tub (maybe hot) and a selection of four or five different sauna types (sauna mania). They also have an exercise room and spa. This is a place I could stay for a month at, no problem.
One other down side is that the taxis charge big money for a short trip from the hotel to the train station (about 7 Euro). It is a very short trip and there is no reason for it to cost so much. On the up side, the hotel provides you with free bus passes that allow you to explore the area for free - what a great value add!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the street and Eagles' Nest
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Seavapor
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Only used the Hotel Restaurant and it was fantastic, there were various restaurants in the hotel and we used the one just off the square. I had a Pizza (house special) and my wife had a pasta meal. I have never struggled to finish a pizza before but this one was huge. The staff all spoke English and were very good at their job. My only disappointment, I found it on our last night in Berchtesgaden.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joy891
Hiratsuka Japan
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I stayed here for two nights on the recommendation of a local whom considered it's newness it's best point. Basically my entire stay was a nightmare. The hotel itself is brand new, beautiful and with outstanding facilities. That's why 2 stars rather than 1. That said the staff clearly are NOT tourist/non-German speaking friendly.

I made the huge mistake of arriving "early". I had reserved a suite. The girl working the front let me stumble through my attempts at German with a rather bored look on her face before she answered me in English telling me to come back after 1500hrs. I asked her where I could park she pointed to the public lot across the street and walked off into the office. She failed to tell me that parking was free for hotel guests, and didn't offer me the parking pass to enter the lot, I only found this out later.

When I returned the room was still NOT available. My German host complained to the same girl I had initially contacted. She reluctantly checked me in, but put me in some "family" room with two bedrooms and NOT a suite. I was paying suite price for two connected bedrooms, one of which I had no use for! The room had a gourgeous view of the roof. The internet connection didn't work. A complaint to the desk met with. "It usually works".

Dinner on Sundays is a pre-prepared buffet affair since the staff are off on Sundays. That's right the "best" hotel in town has no restaurant on Sundays. The food reminded me of the army. Not quite what I was expecting for the price of a suite. The wait staff did not speak any English, and basically avoided us as much as they could.

Next day my German host reminded me to get the "Berchtesgaden Guest" card to get discounts in town. With my luck the same sweetheart was working the desk. She immediately insisted that she had given me the cards when I checked in, and accused me of losing them and of trying to get duplicates. After pointed out that I was in town as a guest of the Bavarian Police Association and was hardly a thief she reluctantly issued me the cards.

My entire stay at the hotel was stressful and unaccomodating. The staff made NO attempt to make us feel welcome, nor to make our stay comfortable. I would NOT recommend staying at this hotel unless you are German, or at least fluent in the language. This place is NOT tourist friendly.

As a note I wrote to complain to the management. I received NO reply. Clearly they don't care as they consider tourists as one time visitors. I will be staying in Berchtesgaden again this year, but you can be sure it will NOT be at the hotel Edelweiss

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Anrando
Tilden, Nebraska
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We were treated exceptionally well. Service was excellent. The staff was very kind. If you're in the area this is the place to be. The pool was great. Very memorable stay. I hope we can return some time.

• Stayed May 2010