All reviewsswimming pooltrain stationother hotelsbayreuth festivalold townbathroom windowminute walk from the hotelroom keywellness centrereception serviceroom numberrooms are comfortablehotel is locatedgendarmerieshuttersfestspielhauscomputers
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed here in 2013, 2015 and this year for the Wagner festival. In 2013 the hotel had a lovely swimming pool - wonderful during Bayreuth's warm and humid summer! We booked again in 2015 to find the swimming pool had gone and a "wellness centre" in its place which was quite a disappointment. This year an even bigger disappointment! The hotel no longer does evening meals. It used to be lovely to walk back from the opera and enjoy the buzz of the post performance.
meal! Furthermore the hotel now offers a bus to (but not back from)the festspielhaus - at a cost for a couple which is all but a few cents the same as a taxi from the station right outside the hotel! Other hotels much further away offer free transport to and from the opera!
The hotel is very close to the Festspielhaus and the rooms are comfortable. However this hotel is more expensive than others offering more.

If we get tickets for the Festspiele again this will no longer be our first choice hotel.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LDS5355
Reviewed 13 July 2017

Literarily, right outside of the train station, to the left as you leave from the main exit, the hotel could not have been easier for me to find. A very quick & friendly check in when I had to sign my booking form, was given my room key & told how to find my room by either stairs or lift, nothing more.
My room was quite old fashioned in style, something that I have come to expect of family run hotels in Germany. Nevertheless, it was perfectly fine for my needs. With 2 doors to open to access the room, It was big with a carpet floor, comfortable single bed, tv, minibar, armchair, full length mirror, folding luggage rack, small wardrobe, work desk, chair, smoke alarm, plenty of spare electrical sockets. Immediately on entering the room I found it to be uncomfortably hot & there was no air con to come to my rescue. I went down to reception to request a fan & it arrived at my room within a couple of minutes & it proved to be a Godsend for me in bringing the room temperature down to a level that I could feel comfortable with. Easy to control steel shutters on the window were also a help. Natural light was ok considering that I had the shutters about three quarters closed & I had no issues with noise from inside or outside of the hotel. Complimentary wi-fi was accessed by entering my name & room number & was very fast, consistent & reliable.
Minibar prices – water 3.00 Euros, Coca Cola 3.00 Euros, fruit juice 3.00 Euros & 33cls pilsner beer 3.00 Euros.
The bathroom was big & clean, had tiled floor & walls, hairdryer, spare electrical wall socket, large mirror, shower enclosure with shower head & hose on a rail with good pressure & plenty of hot water, retractable shaving/make up mirror, plenty of towels, hair/body shampoo, body lotion, vanity set, comb & shoe shine sponge. There was no extraction vent so the bathroom window had to be opened to let steam out but that same mirror also meant that the bathroom was bathed in natural light. I had an issue with the shower as the sliding handset holding bracket literally did just that, it never stopped sliding down the rail as it was broken & so, showering meant either bending down to below waist height or showering with the handset in hand. I reported this to one of the housekeeping staff & she immediately rang down to reception about it. Within 5 minutes a member of the reception staff came up to the room to view the problem bracket.
I enjoyed some nice beers in the evening seated outside the hotel’s Gendarmerie bar/bistro where 500mls of refreshing, cold weissebier cost 3.40 Euros.
I didn’t bother having breakfast at the hotel as it was, in my opinion, quite expensive.
There is a shoe shine/buffing machine located in the basement. On the reception desk were, complimentary for guests, fresh apples, sweets & boxes of matches. There is a nice semi enclosed area in the foyer with a tv & a number of armchairs which added a touch of old time character to that area.
Checking out was quick & friendly & I put my bags in to the left luggage room, close to the reception desk, for 45 minutes or so before making the 20 second walk to the train station.
The hotel is located not much more than a 5 minute walk from Bayreuth’s charming old town. If, like me, you like beer, then a visit to Herzog Bier Kellar & garden is worth the 20 or so minute walk from the hotel. It’s popular with the locals, very laid back with a big selection of beers available & at 3.00 Euros for a 500mls of Weissebier, not very expensive. Very close by to Herzog Kellar, I also popped in to the Liebesbier, the bar/restaurant at the Maisel brewery. A very popular & trendy place with a vast array of beers available. I stuck to my favourite, tried & trusted, Maisel's weissebier costing 3.60 for 500mls.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

If there are awards for sincere and competent customer-service then the Hotel Bayerisch, opposite the station in Bayreuth in Bavaria deserves one. Hats off to all staff and management. You were more the good, you were excellent!

The location is perfect for train travellers and the style - classic with a hint of abstract expressionist was perfectly attuned to its sophisticated and urbane clientele.

Breakfast was buffet-style and copious with pleasant service in abundance. Two days seemed too short for me and I'll definitely return.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 December 2016

I loved the location - right next to the train station. Staff were all friendly, helpful and accommodating. They made me feel like an important person here. The cleaning person outside even offered to take my picture. The place itself has a lot of character. I loved that sitting bronze statue of Wagner at the ground floor. A lot of thought and effort was put into the interiors. It looks distinctly European with touches of whimsy. The room was not cramped and quite comfortable. The bathroom was excellent - spotless, tastefully appointed, and had Broadway style dressing room light bulbs. I loved that every floor had a different concept. Our floor's theme was New York - decorated with graffiti, Statue of Liberty, sculpture of a sitting black man, garbage can with litter, street signs, etc. - so fun! There's also a fridge and free bottled water in the room. Altogether a lovely experience.
On the downside, breakfast food was not good. Breakfast area did not look too inviting - mainly due to dark colored furniture and the absence of natural lighting. Maybe they could use a facelift. Beds were a little small. Too bad we just had one night in this beautiful city. We would love to stay at this hotel again for a longer time.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2016

We stayed here while attending a performance of the Ring. The location is excellent--a relatively short walk to/from the Festspielhaus and next to the train station. There was no noticeable noise from the trains. The hotel provides shuttles to (but not from) all performances. Walking back downhill in the evening is not a problem.

The breakfast buffet is ample. The dinner menu is fine, and service is available after performances. Many opera-goers stay here; we met and had good conversations over meals with Wagner lovers from around the world.

The staff was friendly and very helpful. One, seeing me in running clothes, pointed out a wonderful trail in the hills above the Festspielhaus that I had not found in a previous web search.

Our room was clean and modern, with adequate closet space for our opera finery. The only negative was lack of air conditioning. It was hot during our stay, so the room could get warm. The hotel provided a fan, and the nights were cool enough that we could sleep reasonably comfortably.

Room Tip: We heard that there are a few rooms with A/C, so consider asking for one. Also consider asking for a room not overlooking the train tracks.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple