“Walked up to a really good italian restaurant”
Review of Ristorante Mercato

Ristorante Mercato
Ranked #370 of 507 Restaurants in Heidelberg
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2016

At one end of Marktplatz, our family found this Italian restaurant after eating German food for a few days and needed a break. Nice tables outside to people watch. We had the gnocchi, spaghetti with meat sauce and the cannelloni. All the food was good. Service is typical of Europe. Would eat here again.

Reviewed 14 July 2016

The location is quite nice. An old, nicely restored house, Open entablature One may look into what's going on in the kitchen. I wonder why the owners allow this. You see how convenient-food get's his finish right out of the tins. And it tastes the way it looks. Why do they do this? Using lowest quality of cheese maybe saves 20cent per pizza? Same with the tomato or tomatosauce that is used.
No reaction on the side of the waiter when I answered "no" to his question if everything was allright (he asked though). Same with the "patrone". When I left the place having eaten only one bite and telling him on my way out that the pizza was not good, his response was simple: "really? - is that so?" he asked.
I paid 19 Euro for a simple pizza type Magerita and 1 glas of wine.

Reviewed 30 June 2016

We had a good lunch there, but I can't bring myself to rate it "very good" since there was nothing to warrant the "very". The eggplant pizza and pesto pasta were both quite good. Service was a bit slow but cordial. The atmosphere was quiet and friendly. A bit pricey as expected for the area.

Reviewed 21 June 2016

The Restorante Mercato is a great Italian restaurant in the heart of the old town in Heidelberg. Beautiful interior, great food.

Reviewed 4 March 2016 via mobile

There are a few mixed reviews on this page, but I had a fantastic lunch here!

I wandered in sopping wet (because it was raining, not because I'd gone for an impromptu swim or something) and unable to speak German and carrying a large backpack. In the country where I'm currently living, I might not even be served under such inauspicious circumstances (don't want to name any names here, but the country in question borders Germany. And its capital city is Paris.). However, I had extremely kind and attentive service.

My pizza was just fantastic. I honestly can't recall when I've ever had a better pizza. Yes that is somewhat hyperbolic, and yes I was very hungry at the time, but I keep trying to remember a better pizza, and nothing comes to mind.