“Excellent location, clean and spacious suite, great service, ok breakfast and parking”
Review of Hotel Merkur

Hotel Merkur
Ranked #11 of 50 Hotels in Baden-Baden
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The hotel is right in the center, with only a few minutes walk to all the main attractions. We managed to get a parking place (9 euros per day) right in front of the hotel which was perfect, but the space is really crammed so owners of big cars might have a tough time fitting in, and there was only room for half dozen cars. Fortunately we did not need to use our car during our stay.

We had a junior suite for our family of 3. It was very spacious, clean and stylish in a modern way. 2 flat screen TVs, DVD player, wireless LAN (which occasionally stopper working but was mostly ok) and a big bathroom with a nice bath tub and shower. No real view from the windows, though.

The breakfast was ok but the selection was more limited than in many of the hotels we have visited. Maybe this makes the difference to 4-star.

We took the advice from another review and asked for a kettle in our room - it arrived within 5 minutes and was replenished the next day of our stay.

Overall, one of our best hotel experiences.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Uk
Reviewed 7 September 2011

What a delightful hotel we found...comfortable and stylish at a fraction of the price of the larger hotels and much nicer. We would echo all the positive comments that other guests have made, and make two additions: we asked for a kettle in our room, and it arrived complete with cups, tea, coffee, milk and biscuits within minutes. It was very hot during early September, and in the absence of air conditioning we requested a fan, which also arrived immediately. All the staff were lovely and made our short stay in Baden Baden very memorable. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mitraUk
Matthias_Hirsch, Manager at Hotel Merkur, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Dear Guest,

Guests like you are the reason why we love our job and reviews like yours are our best guerdon and thanks.
We thank you very much for choosing Hotel MERKUR for your stay in the wonderful city of Baden-Baden and for taking time to write this positive review.

We would be happy to welcome you again as our guest.

Your Hotel MERKUR-Team
Sutton Coldfield
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We stopped just one night here. The room was very good and reasonably quiet. The breakfast was fine. The hotel is a little difficult to find and do not expect a view. We found Baden Baden very expensive compared to other German towns we stayed in.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We stayed at the hotel Merkur with friends as part of a holiday trip of Europe, and it was by far the best hotel we stayed in.

It might not look like much from the outside, but the interior is beautifully designed and lovely decorated.
The rooms are very spacious, beautifully decorated in a modern way, also the bathrooms with a comfortable rain shower and a nice rack with plenty of storage space.

The staff were really great, always helpful and friendly.

Internet access and SKY-TV channels (also in English) are free and the mini bar prices are moderate.

We had two excellent dinner at the hotel restaurant, with a fantastic service.

The location is absolutely central with short ways to the park, the city centre and the spas.

We all like to thank the hotel and restaurant staff for this great stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
london
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My partner and I chose to stay here for 4 nights. We took a bit of a flyer to try and save a few pounds in not opting for the Dorint (which was sadly booked). Most importantly I must add that in terms of value for money the stay was acceptable - indeed the Dorint would have been almost double per night - so bear in mind room cost when reading this. However, there were definitely a few negatives that I'm really surprised others haven't noted and for the first time ever I do feel like tripadvisor reviews misled me to believe I would enjoy this hotel.

The reception greeting was miserable - nowhere to park meant we had to use the local pay carpark (about a three minute walk) but having been led to understand parking would be easy and free, this was a pain. The receptionist herself was miserable - no smile and no help with baggage - I did ask if there was anyone to help and at this point she unwantingly offered but by then most had been done by my partner and I. (There were many different reception staff on during our stay and I should add that only one was miserable); it just annoys me because I did a similar job for many years and however fed up you are, it is your job to give a welcoming smile to guests.

The room was modern but I found it very oppressive in its decor - very dark brown styling - not a room I wanted to 'hang out' in. The bathroom was not a bathROOM but a bath cupboard it was so small! The shower pressure was fantastic but the tiny modern shower head ridiculous to use. There was also a rain shower head over the bath but not all girls want to get their hair wet showering like this everyday. There was no way of showering without soaking the entire bathroom and all in all it was a very dissapointing bathroom to encounter on what was a spa holiday!

Breakfast was fine - nothing special - they were very good allowing my partner to bring me just a roll and orange juice to the room each day because I have a habit of missing breakfast! We didn't eat at the hotel in the evening but it looked ok. They had all the usual continental options - meat, cheese, rolls, coffee - but no pain au chocolat which was a shame.

The biggest letdown was the location - no way is it a five minute walk to the two thermal facilities. You have a good eight minute walk through all the shopping area (or an uphill trek the other way) and during this walk we saw so many hotels closer to the thermen that we wished we had chosen instead. Additionally we had a room (206) on the front / side of the hotel and the noise was terrible. We were woken in the night and early in the morning by people coming and going from the hotel garage - or loading and unloading their goods. The street seemed very clean and pleasant (fantastic location if you are on a shopping holiday) but the late night noise was oddly still there. Calm and quiet it was not!!!

Overall I will stress again that you get what you pay for and for Baden-Baden which is very expensive this hotel may suit you if you are used to regular three star hotels because it IS a good three star hotel. However, we would not stay again mostly because of the tiny bathroom and the noise in the early hours. I should add that the cleaning lady is doing a good job for sure and all areas seemed very clean.

A final note is on the beds - we got two twins pushed together with two seperate single duvets - NOT a proper double. I asked if this was the case in all the rooms and was told it was. Some may find this ok but for my partner and I, we don't like the configuration where you slip down the join in the night and use seperate duvets! The beds were very comfortable but may not be the best for a 'romantic' stay!!!

I'd give the hotel a 6/10 - very average but acceptable for the money (if they changed the shower head to a normal one!)

Room Tip: try booking.com
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank londonperson
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for taking time to write this review.

We are very sad that you did not like our hotel
Some things are a matter of taste. As you can see on a lot of other reviews, many guests like the style of our rooms and also our rain showers with the modern shower head - and also we like it.
It would have been no problem to change the shower head against a bigger one, if you had told us that you do not like your shower head.

The standard of double beds in Germany has two separated mattresses.

I apologize if any person of our staff was not as friendly as they should be and used to be. If this was so, I can promise it was a exception, beacuse satisfied and happy guests are what we work for.

It is a also matter of course for us to help our guest with the baggage.

For 9,- Euro per night you can park in our garage or at our parking spaces in front of the hotel.

As I could see on your other reviews you had no luck with your last hotels.
I hope and wish you will find the next time a hotel with you will be more satisfied.

Best regards