“Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful!”

Kreuzberg Monastery
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This place is a crown jewel for anyone looking for a neat spot to visit, off the beaten path, and not touristy. In winter or summer, Kreuzberg is fantastic, the food is great and the beer is even better. Plenty of room for big crowds and the they even have rooms for an overnight stay.

All reviews
"soldiers"
"biergarten"
"village"

Reviewed 14 March 2018

As a young 2nd LT in the US Army in the early 1980's I was stationed at the U.S. Military Kasern in Wildflecken. I actually lived on Kreuzberg Strassa for 2 years in the village of Ober Wildflecken..My apartment was just down the hill from the Kreuzberg Monestary. I used to walk and cross country ski to the Kreuzberg Monestary many a time. At that time Kreuzberg Beer was ranked the best beer in the free world. I could never drink more than one big liter and not many soldiers could.. even as a young 22 year old 2nd LT the beer was potent. The monastery was a beautiful place looking out over the Rhon mountains region. We used to have Battalion Officer Professional Development meetings at the Kreuzberg monastery every Friday night, good beer and food. We were told by the small US medical facility staff on the Wildflecken Kasern and that they did some tests on the beer, wondering why it was so potent...they told us they had detected a mild opium base in the brewing process....never knew if it was true but it was an unusually strong beer with no big hag over effects.... I hope one day I can make it back to drink that great beer one more time before my life is over..and visit all the small bath towns around the Monastery...and go to the East West German border that no longer exists...

1  Thank Ben M
Reviewed 4 November 2017

We visited the monastery in Dec and walking up the road to the biergarten and hotel was like walking in a fairy tale. The clouds were low and the street lights lit up the snow covered pine trees in such an amazing way. I had been to the monastery several times while stationed in Germany and finally was able to take my wife and friends. We had a delicious dinner and drank some of the amazing beer. We stayed in the gasthaus and had one of the best night's sleep. We woke up to the cool winter air and the smell of breakfast cooking. You couldn't ask for a better more relaxing stop during a trip to Germany.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

This was my third time to the monastery, each time has been a short visit. Well worth a visit to look around, then enjoy the fantastic beer and a hearty german meal. And like me, you may walk away with a growler of beer for home.