“New, clean, tiny, no frills”

Hotel Edmond Rostand
Ranked #81 of 131 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed 15 October 2016

Our room was very new and modern and impeccably clean. It was, however, absolutely tiny - just room for a bed and desk - with a large-ish, ultra-modern bathroom. The roll-down shutters and double glazed windows (also new) provided peace and quiet despite the relatively busy street that our room overlooked.

Front desk staff were lovely, and even brought us up an iron at our request.

Unfussy continental breakfast is offered although we went out to eat.

In the heart of the antiques district, you are well-positioned to explore the city - it is a 10-15 minute walk to the old port - or to find a treasure to take home.

Essentially, not somewhere to luxuriate (although there is a common lounge area downstairs), but a great place to get a good night's sleep after a full day exploring the city, or, if you are like us, sleep off a hangover after a night on the town.

The modest price certainly allowed us to spend more money on food, drink, and entertainment - of which Marseille has so much to offer.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

I was booked into the hotel.the day I should have stayed I was told by the receptionist that I had called and cancelled the reservation. I had done no such thing. I came to the conclusion that as the city of Marseille was full of football fans that they would be better letting the room at a higher pice.I spoke to the Manager who was totally devoid of any sympathy to my situation. His only comment to get in touch with the company I booked with.Would I stay at this hotel if asked again.ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank DOUGLAS P
Reviewed 3 October 2015

My mother and I stayed for three nights at the hotel while using Marseille as a base to tour Provence. The location is pretty central - 10 minute walk to the Port Vieux, 5 minute walk from the M1 metro station. We were on the third floor - you can either take the stairs or an extremely small elevator. Large enough for two people and no luggage. If you're not keen on confined spaces, as my mother is, you can be assured of plenty of exercise! Rooms were ok - clean, comfortable beds, but also betraying a certain cheapness: a split toilet seat in my room, two sets of batteries for the remote control that had expired (I ended up bying my own), and a pevading whiff of smoke that suggesed the smoke free room hadn't always been so. And in hindsight, I wouldn't have paid for the breakfast - very basic cold cuts, no fresh fruit. If you're looking for a budget(ish) stay in a convenient location this does the job.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2015

Lovely personnel and charming establishment at the heart of Marseille !

Lack of security in the hotel is a problem: it appears the receptionnist was victim of theft and had to go press charges at the local police station. How that girl was alone at the desk is beyond me ...

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2015

I chose an apartment (called "Home" by the establishment) which was across the street from the main hotel. It contained a bedroom with a small table and two chairs, a kitchenette, and a modern bathroom with stall shower. The flat, cleaned everyday with fresh towels supplied, had it own sensitive thermostat which responded very rapidly to any desired room temperature (warm to air conditioned). Breakfast (glorified "continental" type) was included. But there was no restaurant on site. It was a short walk to the Estragin/Prefecture stop on the Metro Line 1 (one stop to the Old Port) and (one stop in the other direction to Castellane), both of which could easily be reached by walking. The restaurants around the Metro I stop at Castellane were more local, those around the Old Port were mostly tourist traps.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business