“great location”

Hotel Vertigo - Vieux Port
Reviewed 28 May 2016

had a nice stay at vertigo. the internet/wifi is accessible in the bedroom, which is nice. the rooms are a bit stuffy, and the bunk i stayed in was SO SQUEAKY it squeaked when you would breathe. the steps are pretty steep up into our bed area of the loft, and it's pretty hot up there but it was nice. bedding was pretty soft, but don't think its cleaned that often. the location is exceptional, can see the port from the front door and its only a 10 minute walk to the big city avenue. front desk isn't very helpful about the city other than what bus to take.. i asked some suggestions of what to see and the girl didn't really know. breakfast was cereal or baguette - extremely limited. walls are paper thin - bring earplugs. overall, a good stay and the cheapest value in the area.

Room Tip: without squeaky beds!
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Vertigo - Vieux Port

Reviewed 2 May 2016 via mobile

Stayed here alone in a four bed dorm. Decent location, a little stroll required to get into vieux port and then into the metro.
As others have said it has to be recommended to be in block A as there was far less life in block B with patchy wifi also.

However it is a very attractive building and the facilities are good with two really well equipped kitchens to do your dinner in, as well as a great communal space in block B.

Breakfast plentiful but basic. My advice would be to BYOP (protein) as is bread, cereal and coffee which may get you to 10 am before pangs attack. Luckily the lidl under a minute away suffices on this level.

All in all it would be a place I'd stay at again but on my experience wasn't lively enough if you need some buzz on hol.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2016

I stayed for two nights in the hostel. The location is really good, right in the center, nearby restaurants, commerce, the museums, that was the best feature of the place. The place is in general clean, really good breakfast. The room's have the shared bathroom inside, which can be good, especially if you are with friends, but due the construction of the shower, in my room, it was a issue: oftenly water was all over the place, not because people were careless or anything, but it really flowed outside the shower. Another problem with the room that I got: they have two different buildings, next to each other, with a little street in the middle. My room was on the floor level, and the "window" (that was actually a door), gave directly to the the open street. We could never let it open, and the room was extremely dark. Therefor ask to be in the main building, my friend was in a room there and it was much, much better. Small lockers, but nice beds. One problem: there was only one sheet for the bed, but maybe this is a french thing (it happened also in another hostel here). Helpful staff. The thing that bothers me the most: arriving there, they charge a "tax". Something around 4 euros. They said this is usual here, but I didn't saw this in any other place that i've been.
In general, good experience. But pay attention to the rooms, I really think that the ones in the main building are better.

Room Tip: Choose a room of the main building, upper floor. Better illumination and environnement.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 February 2016

We've stayed at their suite for 4 days, which was spacious and very very clean. Staff helped us in english with public transportation tips, very kindly. Their lounge area is very nice, they have a bar and a terrace. The location is great, the view port area is beautiful by morning with its cafes and restaurants, sunset when the light sets beautifully across the wheel and evening, specially with a bottle of wine. I recommend this hostel for both couples and solo travellers who are going to the Calanques de Cassis and don't wanna miss the beautiful Marseille in all its cultural diversity.

Room Tip: the suite has a private bathroom
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2016

I liked this hostel. Lovely spacious old building - probably a warehouse. Stylishly fitted out and pretty clean. No lift and quite a few stairs to my top-floor dorm, but I had a bed - not a bunk - and it was quiet and spacious once I was there and the showers and bathroom were good. Nice communal areas - for cooking and hanging out. Easy to socialise if you wanted. Reception was always manned whenever I was coming or going and the staff spoke good English and had local knowledge about where to eat etc which they were happy to share. There was a Lidl and other reasonably-priced supermarkets a few steps away. It was a very short stroll downhill to the old port and I thought I was staying in the best part of Marseille for being able to get out on boat trips and see the sights. There was one communal PC with internet access in the lobby downstairs, which was useful as I didn't have my mobile phone with me to be able to access wifi from my own device. My only gripe was that I was sexually propositioned by a non-resident in the lobby one night - he had somehow got there and was using the internet. He was more of a pest than a predator, but I would have preferred him to have not been there. For what it's worth, I thought Marseille was an awesome, fascinating, fairly inexpensive, place and would recommend it for everyone's itinerary.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the stairs, go as high as possible
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo