“I'd go back”

Hotel Vertigo - Vieux Port
Reviewed 10 January 2016

I liked this hostel. Lovely spacious old building - probably a warehouse. Stylishly fitted out and pretty clean. No lift and quite a few stairs to my top-floor dorm, but I had a bed - not a bunk - and it was quiet and spacious once I was there and the showers and bathroom were good. Nice communal areas - for cooking and hanging out. Easy to socialise if you wanted. Reception was always manned whenever I was coming or going and the staff spoke good English and had local knowledge about where to eat etc which they were happy to share. There was a Lidl and other reasonably-priced supermarkets a few steps away. It was a very short stroll downhill to the old port and I thought I was staying in the best part of Marseille for being able to get out on boat trips and see the sights. There was one communal PC with internet access in the lobby downstairs, which was useful as I didn't have my mobile phone with me to be able to access wifi from my own device. My only gripe was that I was sexually propositioned by a non-resident in the lobby one night - he had somehow got there and was using the internet. He was more of a pest than a predator, but I would have preferred him to have not been there. For what it's worth, I thought Marseille was an awesome, fascinating, fairly inexpensive, place and would recommend it for everyone's itinerary.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the stairs, go as high as possible
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank Tabitha-Traveller
There are newer reviews for Hotel Vertigo - Vieux Port

Reviewed 11 December 2015

I paid 16€/per night for staying with 5 ppl. The bed was comfortable and room clean so nothing bad about it. Only thing that was frustrating was that they confirmed my booking and checking in at 13 and still my bed wasn't available until 14. And also the check out is at 10 which is weird.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2015

The hostel is well located, plenty of shops, bars and restaurants close by as well as a metro stop and the old port. St Charles railway station is walkable.
The staff were excellent - without exception professional, helpful, knowledgeable and friendly.
Our room (#6) was comfortable and clean, the en-suite bathroom was clean, plenty of hot water, OK water pressure (could be a bit stronger but no real problem). The walls are very thin so it's easy to hear what's going on in the other rooms - it was low season when we were there but I guess it could be quite noisy when full. Wifi and internet were strong and stable.
The included breakfast is OK, but it's a bit of a scramble to get it.
Common areas are good.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2015

Hostel Vertigo, is very well located in Marseille, two blocks from Vieux Port, which have a lot of options to have fun and transportation. It's very close, from the Notre Dame Cathedral too. My room was very spacious, clean and enlighted, with A/C. Breakfast ok, not big deal, very secure room (card access).

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2015

Hotel Vertigo has a great, tastefully artsy and modern look, a good social area, and a relaxed, youthful and friendly vibe. The staff are also very friendly and easy-going - and professional at the same time. The rooms and facilities are basic but well-maintained and clean. And the location is perfect - on an charismatic, non-touristy street with fun local bars, restaurants and cafes very close by.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business