“Good value hotel for the budget conscious who want to stay close to the Old Town”

Campanile Nice Centre - Acropolis
Ranked #64 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

Pros:Central location just around the corner from Place Garibaldi and tram (and thereby access to main train station), close to supermarket, within easy walking distance of old town, friendly helpful staff with reception who understand English, free WiFi which worked well. We had a room at the back of the hotel, with no street noise. Very clean. Inbuilt electric kettle, airconditioning. For those on a budget visiting Nice, this is a good value hotel.
Cons: The room was small, with a small corner table immediately next to bed, and relatively little hanging space, however the hotel never pretended to be the Ritz in its advertising. Airconditioning appeared to be set on low volume, which was no major issue as the max temp was only 29 during our visit.
We would stay again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Greater Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

My friend and I have just returned from a five night stay at the Hotel Campanile Nice Acropolis on Boulevard Risso, near to the Old Town, in Nice.

After reading previous Trip Advisor reviews, this hotel seemed to fit our budget and location requirements, despite a few negative comments relating to room space. With regards to the latter, I feel inclined to agree, because in our case, for two ladies sharing, the twin-bedded facility was slightly cramped . However in fairness, the room contained adequate necessities including a nice bath/overhead shower, which was extremely powerful with plenty of hot water. There were also various bathroom goodies, which were pleasantly packaged. The room itself had a superb air conditioning system; one of the best I have experienced, even in higher star rated hotels, which was much appreciated due to the warm weather. There were tea/coffee making facilities in the room; the coffee of which was really nice, with a supply of carton type, coffee cups/lids, which gave the 'Costa Coffee' take-away feel, so no complaints there. A flat-screened, wall mounted TV, was also in our room, though we were unable to find any English news channels. This however was not a problem as our trip was for the purpose of sightseeing and to soak up the fabulous Nice atmosphere, not to watch TV, or as other reviewers have mentioned, use the WI-Fi.

Initially the hotel appeared to be in a somewhat annonymous location, despite being on the edge of the Old Town. On arrival (via the 98 airport bus) we had a problem finding it late at night, due to our flight having been delayed. Also I had taken directions from Internet travellers, but as we were to find out later in the holiday, the mentioned, central Gare Routiere Bus Station has since been demolished. We finally found the hotel after being given directions by the various friendly/helpful locals, including the 98 airport bus driver. Had we known, we would have asked for the nearest bus stop to the 'Piazza Garibaldi', which was just around the corner from the hotel.

On a previous visit to Nice, I stayed near to the Promenade Des Anglais, whereas the Campanile hotel is near to all the attractions, but on the opposite side of the Old Town. The promenade is a pleasant stroll away, through the Old Town, with its many tempting shops and restaurants. Also the marina is not too far away and was a beautiful place to be, especially at dusk, when the air had cooled nicely. One evening we sat at a nearby bar, sipping pre-dinner drinks, admiring the beautiful boats docked in the marina, as well as the stunning villas in the surrounding hills. This was truly a sight for sore eyes and oozed the Riviera charm, which the area has become so famous for over the years; though despite this, Nice still retains its 'down to earth' charm. The locals are also extremely friendly and helpful which made the holiday extra special.

My friend and I will definitely be returning to Nice, as we have both 'fallen in love' with the atmosphere and way of life. As for the Campanile Hotel, we were very impressed with the overall presentation. For a two-star rated hotel, it was adequate, extremely clean throughout and fresh smelling, unlike certain other reviewers have described. Our only problem was the lack of space, as mentioned above and the very small bathroom, with a wooden sliding door. Apart from this, which was no major problem, everything was fine. The desk staff were pleasant, and helpful, without being intrusive and we had an extremely pleasant stay.

One detail I would draw to the attention of foreign visitors, is the credit card procedure at this hotel. Due to current, credit card, fraud prevention systems, be sure to ring your credit card provider, 'well in advance' of your trip, to inform them of your whereabouts. This will enable information to be entered on their system and avoid your card being blocked whilst holidaying abroad. This particular hotel tried to authorise my card before our arrival and also before I had rang my credit card company, which caused a problem regarding the reservation. I then received an e-mail from the Campanile Hotel, a couple of days prior to our scheduled arrival date, saying that the room would be cancelled if another form of payment was not arranged within two days. Luckily I check my e-mails regularly and also by that time I had made the necessary phone call to my credit card company. When I telephoned the hotel, they tried my card again and the card cleared. However, had I not checked, this could have caused problems, not to mention embarrassment, on our arrival, as was mentioned in a previous review.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank SheshG
Buzau, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

We stayed there for about 2 weeks and we enjoyed the very good location of this hotel. It's very close to the tram station and to the 'Gare Thiere' (Gare de Nice - Ville ~ the railway station) and it's also close to 'Garibaldi Square', with nice restaurants (Au petit Gari, for instance) and a lot of smaller cafes (Cafe de Turin, etc.). The hotel is pretty close to 'The Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art' (Le Musee Mamac) and The Library 'Louis Nucera'. Opposite the 'Palais-des-Congres', Hotel Campanile Nice Centre Acropolis is at 700 metres from 'Vieux Nice'. Great location for a very clean and well maintained hotel. Rooms are small but nice and cosy and the staff is really great. We hadn't any problems staying at this hotel for about 15 days and we'll come back here in the future for sure!
Important: Wi-fi is available in the entire hotel and is free of charge.
I recommend this hotel especially to people who wanna stay in Nice for more than 1 week!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Monica_Crest
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

My husband and I booked for a 4 nights stay at Hotel Campanile Nice Acropolis for my husband's birthday weekend celebration in Nice. When we got there, there was no room for us, because supposedly the reservation was cancelled. Previously we had received at least 3 different emails confirming our reservation, but they said that they did not write those emails themselves, that it was the company that manages the Website, which I still don't understand!

They offered to reserve a room in another hotel ("Ibis") for that night (we would have our room ready for the next day) and since this new hotel was a bit more expensive (about 10 euros more for the night) they offered to pay for the difference. It was so annoying having this experience the day of my husband's birthday and our first day in Nice...

We had no other option, so after complaining a lot because we didn't know what type of hotel they were sending us to, and wasting a lot of time in the process, We asked for a compensation for the damage caused. After a while they agreed to give us breakfast for free for our stay. I still think they should have done something else, e.g. giving us discount in our invoice, or giving us a night for free, etc.

After that, our stay was OK, although I think is good to point out that the bed sheets felt full of sand and we had to shake off the dust from the sheets.

We liked the hotel they sent us to the first night better and I would definitely consider paying a little bit more for a better hotel the next time!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Very efficient and helpful service both on reception and in the restaurant where we had an excellent breakfast.
Small room which would benefit from more cupboard space but very clean and bedding and towels changed regularly, also we had a room at the front of the hotel which benefits from a pleasant view over a park. Excellent location near the Museum of Modern Art and the old town of Nice where there are lots of eating places and street entertainers and with easy access to the port, seaside and bus station. It was very good value for money but would have liked a bit bigger and better equipped room

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple