All reviewsbell towerself cateringowner patrickpocket wifibooked directlysmall kitchenetteinner courtattic roomlovely courtyarddoor openinga quick minute walkfantastic hospitalityformer monasteryrooms facemaking breakfasta great place to staytowel warmer
Reviewed 23 July 2018

My daughter and I recently stayed at Aux Augustins, a converted monastery. I was drawn to staying in a unique place like this and it did not disappoint. Located in the heart of Avignon it is a calm oasis. The rooms are around a courtyard full of plants and patio furniture. Our room had a balcony that overlooked the courtyard which was great for early morning breakfast. The rooms were spacious and clean. The air con was quiet as was the room itself. Patrick, the owner was super helpful and had a good sense of humour as he answered my myriad of questions. He obviously loves the town he lives in and had lots of good suggestions of what to do. I was a bit stressed about the rotating strikes on the TGV and was worried about getting back to Paris. He was very helpful and tried to find out more information and drove us to the station the next morning. Avignon is a good starting place to explore Provence. We had a half day tour of the area and enjoyed it thoroughly. There was a theatre festival in Avignon when we were there that was extremely lively. The streets were full of performers. We had so much fun in Avignon just walking around and taking it all in! This place is a gem that needs to be shared!

Room Tip: I am not sure if the rooms all have balconeys but it is nice to have that private outdoor space so I would request one.
Reviewed 19 July 2018

We loved our room, our breakfast, the courtyard, and Patrick's kindness and patience with our questions! We had a comfy bed, a light for reading on each side, a fridge, a sink, a stovetop (which we didn't use), silverware and glasses, a TV, a table inside and outside, a great bathroom with shower, and toilet in separate area. The only problem was the WiFi did not work all of the time, but I think this might be a France-wide issue - I've never stayed in a hotel in France where it worked the whole time.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room.
Reviewed 11 July 2018

There was good and bad about this place. We liked that the room was quiet and private but we found the bed, chairs and couch all to be uncomfortable. It was nice to have the little kitchen area. We liked the location and even though parking wasn't on-site it was convenient for old-town parking. The part I didn't like was being lectured by the owner about not calling ahead to check in on a Sunday, not booking on his site, how reasonably priced his parking was and why he can justify charging an extra fee if you don't clean your own room. To see for yourself what I'm talking about read his comments to any of the non-five star reviews -- the responses will give you a feel of his personality/attitude.. He seems like a decent guy, but we wouldn't return because of him.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Sabine E, Propriétaire at Aux Augustins, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

I am sorry but I did not recieve a guest with your name. Maybe you have stayed in another place. Anyway, I treat the guests as I would like to be treated but I know that it is not possible to please everyone.

Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

A fabulous apartment in the centre of Avignon - walking distance to all the beautiful sites, eateries and market. Room was very clean, spacious and the kitchenette was perfect for preparing breakfast or a light snack. Sabine, the owner was delightful and extremely helpful with suggestions of what to do etc. I would definitely like to return again and highly recommend this fabulous accomodation.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2018

My husband and I spent two very comfortable weeks at Aux Augustins in May/June. It lies just off-centre in the old town making it quieter but still very close to cafes, markets, historical sites etc. We are somewhat elderly tourists, but we loved our daily walks from the hotel to various points of interest. There is a bus stop just outside the door if preferred. We rented a ground floor studio apartment off the delightful courtyard area and had absolutely no mobility problems at all. Tired of standard accommodation provided by hotel chains, we looked for somewhere with a bit of French charm and character and Aux Augustins did not disappoint. The bedroom/sitting room was large, with stone floor and furniture that was very French and decorations that reflected the history of the property. Plenty of storage space. The room was a little dark since both the glass door and the window were in the corner but I would imagine that, in the heat of a Provence summer, this would make the room refreshingly cool. There was a reverse-cycle air conditioning unit which we didn't need to use. The bed was large and comfortable. The modern bathroom had a large open shower, very easy for the less mobile. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. The small (but adequate) kitchenette is behind a door off the dining area. When we got fed up of eating out, we popped meals into the microwave/oven or used the two-ring stove. Our fridge always held the French basics: pate, cold meat, cheese and our favourite local wines. Without a doubt, however, the best aspect of this property is the excellent service provided by Patrick, the proprietor. Nothing seemed too much trouble for him. We rented a car to get us from Vitrolles airport and when we arrived at Aux Augustins, Patrick hopped into the back to guide us to the off-site parking and then walked us back there the next day to make sure we didn't get lost. (Please note that if you are arriving by car that there is an unloading space right outside the house but you need to tell Patrick when you are arriving so that he can remove the bollards). He was also very helpful when my husband was unwell for a few days making sure that he was comfortable, offering to contact pharmacist and doctor if needed (thankfully it wasn't). He and his wife made us feel very welcome throughout our stay. We would recommend this as a great place to stay. We didn't want to leave and would love to go back if we are ever in the area again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Lynda W