All reviews opposite the castle budget room triple room the ground floor excellent location one night lift chateau centre
Reviewed 26 November 2017

Hotel is in a good location for the castle, which is opposite. I have very little else positive to say about the place. I booked in here (for the same price as the Mercure was charging) as I like to support small businesses where I can. On this occasion this was a BIG MISTAKE.

Having deliberately timed my train journey to Angers to arrive within the reception hours shown on the booking.com website, I turned up at 14h30 to discover that the door was locked and the bar/reception was closed. Staff inside looked at me through the window and did nothing (in spite of the fact that I was stood there with bags etc obviously wanting to check in). Only when I started hammering on the window did someone come and let me in, She clearly was not happy about this, but if I, the customer, turn up within their advertised opening hours I do not see why it should be such a shock that I would want to check in. Reception appeared to only operate in the evening between 17h00 and 21h00.

The room in no way represented those online. Whilst relatively clean, furniture was dated and the room looked run down.

At 17h00 some guy decided to conduct a "security check" of my room - no idea what that was about!

There were no staff available after 21h00 (and it was necessary to enter/exit the hotel by a side door with coded door lock). This was a problem when I was awoken at about 03h00 with some massive argument/fight taking place on the landing outside my room. I have no idea what this was about but just lay there scared hoping they would not burst into my room until they cleared off. Then the bed collapsed! It was blatant that the broken leg on the bed had been propped back on many times before.

In the morning, I went out for breakfast and a wonder around town before leaving. I returned to find housekeeping staff cleaning and tidying my room (it was well before check out time). They left the room and I discovered they had already changed the sheets, towels, soap etc and cleaned the bathroom - this was in spite of my stuff being in there. Well I used the toilet sink and a towel before leaving, I would be interested to know if they then returned and changed the towel etc. before the next guest was put in the room!

A different lady was on reception in the morning, she was more pleasant and wished me a nice day when I returned the key.

In conclusion, the rooms here do not match those displayed on the website. I would advise caution before checking into this hotel. I did not have a good stay here and I did not feel welcome.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank rtl2
Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

When I arrived late on a Monday, I did not feel welcomed. The room I was given was not like the ones they advertise online and I felt like it was a cell room. They charge you a lot extra money if you don't have your dinner there or you don't take part in social activities. I paid to stay a week, yet I was told to leave Saturday morning. Returning one night there were two aggressive boys and I was actually punched in the back by one as I was rushing past. Shocking experience, it's my first time in Angers and I am a student on her year abroad so not the best first week.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Lovely to look at. We stayed in a room at the front, overlooking the Chateau. Our triple room was clean and ensuite. The host/staff were very friendly and helpful. There is even a lift!
We love falling asleep and waking up to the noisy hustle and bustle of life in a French town /city - purposefully leaving the windows open - although this may not suit everyone.
We found free, on-street parking less than 5 mins walk away.
Nothing not to like about the hotel - highly recommended and would be our first choice for future visits
We ate at Le Napoli both nights as it is only a few minutes walk away and we enjoyed the food and atmosphere so much!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Beware - no parking here - and not all that easy to find spaces around and about. However, that said - we had a very pleasant stay. There is a bar on the ground floor - but this closes at 8 and then access is by key code and no hotel staff onsite. Breakfast was served in the bar and was fine. The position is excellent - right opposite the castle and very handy for the old section of town.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the castle.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2017

Only in Angers for one night - but really enjoyed our stay in the Hotel Marguerite d'Anjou. Very warm welcome in the bar - where the service was fantastic. We were in the most budget room available, but found it more spacious than previous hotels we stayed in on our trip. Nice to stay in a unique hotel, which has some individual character compared to the many chain hotels available. Location just opposite the castle and an easy walk into the centre to get dinner in the evening.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends