“Le 5 Août ”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Tourisme dans la region
I have been really estonished by the welcoming of the whole staff.
Despite I am a spicey food addict.
I have really enjoyed the traditionnal french specialité ,the presentation etc...
In one word , it was just great!! .

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We came across this little gem by chance, having walked into town for 15 mins from our hotel.
It was almost full, even on a midweek evening,which was a good sign. Not a tourist in site, we got by on basic French and were rewarded with smiles and excellent service from the manager. A simple, but delicious,3 course meal with wine came to 58 euros. Couldn't fault it.

Date of visit: June 2014
1  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Very good local restaurant ( we were the only non French) with decent well priced wine and of course very good cider. We had two of the set menus and 4 a la carte. The beef, the duck with mushrooms and the chicken and tarragon pie were particularly good and I really loved my starter of baked goats cheese and roast tomatoes. With only 1 person front of house we thought we would have a bit of a wait but the service was swift and charming. the two French who were in our party were equally impressed. Very close to the Abbaye des homes and just round the corner from our b and b. Perfect.

Date of visit: April 2014
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Charming little restaurant, excellent food, warm & friendly welcome. V.good wine and extremely good value for money.
We can thoroughly recommend everything about La Courtine.

Date of visit: June 2013
4  Thank gglightning
Reviewed 11 June 2012

My wife and I chose La Courtine for an early dinner in Caen. We had been on a tour of the Normandy landing beaches and had about a 45 minute drive back to the B&B in La Cambe where we were staying so dinner in Caen seemed like the best approach. And was it ever! La Courtine is a storefront restaurant on a side street and is probably well known to and frequented by the locals. This was obvious to us after the first hour (we arrived at 7:00PM (early by French standards) and were the only people there up until 8:00 when the restaurant really started to fill up with people who were a lot more fluent in French than we will ever be. But, our limited understanding of the language was no barrier. The Maître’D, waiter, and possibly also the chef were all rolled up into one person and he was very gracious and understanding. He helped us understand the menu selections on the chalk board that profiled this day’s available selections, helped us choose a wine, and altogether made us feel welcome and accepted. Our meal (we chose the 28 Euro Menu that consisted of appetizer (entre), main course (plat), and dessert) was nothing short of excellent. The salads were crisp (it was obvious that the greens had been selected in the morning at a local market). The main courses (my wife had a chicken dish and I had a fish fillet) “oozed” with the quality of ingredients and talent of the chef. And the desserts were a final exclamation point to a wonderful dining experience. We were not only impressed but were filled with admiration for the way a truly great meal could be prepared and presented. Caen has other highly rated restaurants but I have to wonder just how good they can get. This one was right at the top on my list and we will definitely be back on any future visit to Caen.

Date of visit: May 2012