“Amazing food at a great price”
Review of Villa Eugene

Villa Eugene
Ranked #15 of 488 Restaurants in Caen
Price range: US$34 - US$136
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 7 September 2017

For our second night in Caen, we tried a different restaurant. Villa Eugene was literally right around the corner from our hotel and even though it was a little chilly and my wife was wearing her normal 6 inch stilettos, we decided to walk the block and a half to the restaurant. Since we were coming in the back we had a little difficulties finding the restaurant but luckily a server saw us and directed us in.

Inside, the restaurant has a warm atmosphere. What was most welcome was they had a separate menu for us in English so we didn't have to struggle understanding the French menu like we did the night before. This menu was actually quite large and while it was predominantly a French menu, they did have some basic American staples that both my wife and I were very happy with.

To start with, we ordered a bottle of white wine and a bottle of red. Both were relatively inexpensive. As my wife and mother both love Italian heavy wines, we had to ask our server for assistance and he picked an excellent wine that they both loved.

For food, my parents each started with an unusual french appetizer that they both loved. My wife and I sat out the appetizers because they were mostly fish or cheese. For entrees, my father had the chicken with fois gras, my mother the veal and my wife and I pepper steak. Everything was fantastic. Desserts were delicious as well. Had one small hiccup as they forgot to bring the coffee and tea with our desserts but no matter, we enjoyed relaxing the extra 15 minutes.

Wifi reception in the restaurant was excellent and much stronger than our hotel which was nice as we are trying to stay in contact with friends and family in the states with the hurricane bearing down. Overall, I have very little bad to say about the restaurant and a lot of good to say.

Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

Great atmosphere. Service too fast to enjoy a before dinner drink. Steak very good. Dessert ok.... nice music and deco.

Reviewed 17 April 2016

very good. Great service, good cocktails. Maybe a bit overpriced at the end but the atmosphere is cool and staff pro and friendly.
Disappointed with dessert;

Reviewed 21 March 2016

Large house transformed into a restaurant, convenient to park (unless there is a football game at the stadium nearby). The staff is very welcoming. The food is very good with typical french dish : ris de veau, rognon... They have a nice private dining room on the second floor.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

Overrated, service just above average.
Angus steaks: black or red Angus ? not mention at menu card, old meat with fat, pieces of meat under the steaks to give an impression of volume, bad quality of meat, far away from american or australian black Angus steaks.
Same remark for the foie gras, tasteless, just average.
The positive points: good choice of wine and good bourbon !