New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Hotel Chateau De Bellefontaine
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Bayeux
“Amazing location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

Stunning location. Convenient taxi ride to restaurants in town centre. Bathroom superb. Comfortable bed.helpful staff. Did not partake in breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

My two brothers and myself go each year to France to visit the battlefields, this year we decided on Normandy. I booked this hotel in January having ascertained that they had triple rooms of suitable quality. They do not have a secure booking page so a booking was made via mail. When we arrived we were shown a room that was large, but contained a double and a single bed which is not what we ordered. The woman then showed us a room in the annexe which was on two levels and had a couple of settee beds, not really what we wanted and we should have pulled out there but having driven for 5 hours from Dunkirk we decided to stay as we were tired. There were no facilities in the room for making a hot drink, the woman (owner ?) said anytime we wanted one we just had to ask, this is not the same convenience. Breakfast at 12 euros was a joke. There was no hot water, we had to ask for it, in the home of cheese all she could offer was Baby Bel, cold meat selection were a few slices of salami. There was toast and jam and cereal but it really was a poor spread. This is the only hotel in France that I have stayed in where, when you book, if you have to cancel for any reason you have to pay for what you have booked. We paid 150 euros a night for the room plus 12 euros each for the breakfast which is high for the quality we got. The nicest thing about it was the setting, chateux set among tall mature trees, nice green and lovely small lake with lots of wildlife. I could not recommend this place to anyone, over priced and poor service.

Room Tip: Stay at the Campanile or Novotel closeby
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank glynn1947
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

We stayed one night here when visiting various WWII sites in Normandy. Location is very central if you have a car. It's not close enough to the restaurants in Bayeux to walk back after dinner, but that wasn't a big issue for us. Our room was spacious, clean and well-decorated. The bathroom was quite large. The property is really pretty - it was nice to watch the ducks and admire the flowers. The staff were welcoming and the breakfast was good. Would defintely stay there again if we had the chance.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BumperTTH
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

The genteel gardens, replete with ducks and swans, make you feel as though you've landed in 19th century France. We booked a single room and a duplex suite. The single room was in the chateau which is impeccably maintained, with recently renovated rooms decorated in the best of taste. The duplex suites are in a separate building, and are more modern, with emphasis more on the functional and less on the chateau experience. But the price is appropriate and the setting divine - quiet, soothing, and a short walk to the center of Bayeux.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the chateau itself.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SunnyLaChienne
Belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at this Chateau on the 15th April. The Chateau itself and the grounds where lovely and we thought the superior room we had booked. However I feel I have to post a rather strange experience that we encountered while there.

We had only booked for one night stay. We came down to breakfast the following morning and where served tea/coffee and basket of bread by the waiter. I forgotten to bring down my vitamins and decided to return to our room to get them. I put the key in the door and went in only to find the waiter who had served us breakfast coming towards me. He backed me out of the room and said he needed a minute. He put his key in the door and locked the door from the inside leaving me standing out in the hallway. He emerged a minute of so later said "sorry" and let me enter the room.

I returned downstairs after getting my handbag and told my husband about what had happened. The waiter came to our table and apologised again saying he had got the room number wrong and that he should have gone to room 10 instead of 1 which was the room we stayed in. He later returned to say that another guest had asked him to prepare a surprise for his wife and that he thought I was the wife returning to the room. When he left the room he carried nothing and the only surprise that was evident was the one I got when I went in to find him there in the first place.

We did report the incident to the reception on our departure and must add that nothing of our belongings had been taken, While the explanation that we had been given may have been correct I feel that to put me outside the room and lock the door from the inside very strange indeed.The whole experience was very bizarre and somewhat scary.

I feel I have to post this to ensure that other's do not suffer the same experience that I did and perhaps just to be a bit vigilant.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple