“If you love duck...and we do!”
Review of Au Petit Sud Ouest - CLOSED

Au Petit Sud Ouest
Price range: US$53 - US$71
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Neighbourhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Description: Au Petit Sud Ouest is specialized on Duck and duck / goose liver (Foie gras). You have to like duck !! Open for lunch from 12 to 2:30 pm (last order at 2:30 pm) and dinner from 6 pm to 10 pm (last order at 10 pm). Better to make a booking. We are closed on Sunday and Monday and August. We have a shop too... Open from 9 am to midnight. Take away lots of differents "Foie gras" (duck or goose liver fresh or by tins)
Philadelphia, PA
“If you love duck...and we do!”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Making the reservation on-line from the U.S. was very easy. The decor is very informal, sort of country farmhouse. The host and hostess were very warm and gracious. We were a half hour late for our reservation but we kept them informed of our progress via cell phone. They did not contribute any stress to getting there. Once we arrived, they could not have been nicer. Madame speaks English and provided great help with menu suggestions. It was surprising to see a toaster on each table but when I ordered the fois grois, I learned that it is to toast the bread that is served with it. My wife had a marvelous goat cheese salad. My wife followed her appetizer with a duck leg served with potato and mushrooms. I had the duck confit with orange sauce. This was our first night in Paris on this trip and the duck confit reminded us both immediately of the contrast between cooking in the US and cooking in Europe. The orange sauce was superb. At home it would have been overly sweet, the consistency of jelly, and enough to drown a small dog. Here it was just perfect. Nonetheless, we both agreed that the confit was not as good as the duck leg. We had the table wine for 19.50 E and it was fine. At no time did anyone make any recommendation based on price. The only concern was what the hostess thought we would most enjoy. For desert we shared something delicious that was comprised of thin apple slices. Our only regret was that it did not come with vanilla ice cream. A perfect cafe au lait ended our meal. We loved dinner and the entire bill was very reasonable. Very good food at a reasonable price. That's great dining. We enjoyed it immensely.

• Visited March 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
dublin
“great food, great service”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

everything that the others reviews said about the service is true. I cant remember when was the last time I had such a great dinning experience.
The food is also amazing and not all that expensive.
I simply cant recommend this restaurant enough

Charleston, South Carolina
“Delicious Duck, veggie option too”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My husband ordered the duck breast-confit I think- and it was absolutely delicious. I normally say I don't like duck, (in fact I ordered as a vegetarian here because I was afraid to try it) but this is the best I've ever had. It was cooked to perfection. It was seared on the outside, tender and pink on the inside. It had the texture and appearance of a very good, thick filet. Wow. I should have ordered the duck after all! I ordered the vegetable terrine, which is served on a plate and has the texture of pate'. I was thinking it would be a "tureen" of vegetables, but enjoyed the terrine pate's. They were very good. I had the fried potatoes along with my vegetable terrine and was satisfied. (She told me I could have had scrambled eggs or salmon if I wanted) For dessert my husband had the creme brûlée and I had the apple tart slightly perfumed with Armagnac. Both were very tasty. The service was very good and the waitress all smiles and friendliness. It is so cozy and quaint. I would definitely go back here again and would recommend that you make reservations first. It fills up quickly and without reservations you may get turned away. A couple showed up right at the 7pm opening time and were seated, though.
You don't have to dress up to eat here, it is casual. Look for the green awning when trying to find the restaurant at 46 Avenue de la Bourdonnais.

1 Thank strawberries4U
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Great service/food 80%”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We ate here this week and indeed the service and friendly attention from the Owner referred to by others is totally justified.
We ordered entrees and main courses each.
If you do not like duck you have a problem at this establishment.
The main courses of duck confit and duck stew were both flavoursome but tended to be overcooked IOO. We like our meat of any type to be moist and juicy but the meat of both dishes was stringy and dry. We have experienced this at other restaurants where there is a selection of dishes, where the duck is usually steamed and then finished to requirements. We did expect here however that as this is a specialist place the duck could be basically done to order. The confit was finished by deep frying? The entree of duck rillettes I ordered was furnished as duck terrine for what reason I do not know but I did not complain as the lady was so friendly.
Nevertheless we did enjoy ourselves.
Kayte

1 Thank Kaytee33
Calgary, Canada
“TripAdvisor - APSO is wonderful!”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Living in an apartment less than 2 blocks away and basically a stone-throw from the Tour how could I not try this gem for lunch! The reviews are all amazing and truly this Restaurant and the Owners deserve the rating and acclaim. I was dining alone and I was made to feel welcome and comfortable as the owner was more than gracious and patient while listening to my pathetic attempts at French and easily conversed with me in Anglais. Had the starter Foie Gras a'la Canard, followed by the traditional Cassoulet - again with Canard, porc and the bean stew. With all the bread I initially ate with the starter I literally had no room for much else ... well except a 1/2 Litre of a 2002 Bordeaux from the St. Emilion Estate Winery and un cafe to close. All in, without the generous tip for making me feel so welcomed, my lunch was under €50 so I was happy given the choice of wine and food selections. Luckily it was a sunny day as I planned a long walk afterwards!

Whether your a duck lover or not you will not be disappointed!
Bert