“Freidnly service, great food, nice wine”
Review of Au vin des rues - CLOSED

Au vin des rues
Price range: US$25 - US$147
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Montparnasse
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We found this on Saturday night as we were looking, somewhat vaguely, for a restaurant we went into 10 years previousy (see my review of La Closerie de Lilas). Well, we didn't find that place, which had either closed down or morphed into a completely different restaurant, but we wandered into this one.

Really friendly people, the staff and customers around us. They were welcoming, and very tolerant of my rather bad French. There were no menus in English, just a board, but the sole waiter / barman explained the menu slowly for us so that we had a clear idea about what we were ordering. Lovely food. I had snails to start6, main of pork with scalloped potatoes and some kind of greens that may have been spinach, and a dessert of l'isle flotant - a kind of vanilla marshmallow with vanilla sauce. (I'm not making that sound very nice, but it was lovely.)

We had a lovely bottle of wine (I've forgotten what it was, but it worked with our food).

The place has a great atmosphere, and we'll head there again next time we're in Paris.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I ate lunch on a Saturday here in September 2013. It is an informal neighborhood wine bar and restaurant off of rue Daguerre. We walked into the restaurant around 2:30 PM and although they were about to close the kitchen, they served us with a smile. The food was good, the service was very friendly and efficient and they served us decent wines by the glass. It is a nice relaxing environment and too expensive. The person who waited on us speaks good English and he even gave me a free glass of wine to try. I recommend you go if you are looking for a friendly atmosphere, decent food at a decent price.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Nice restaurant in Paris, not too far from Denfert Rochereau.
Friendly welcome and team.
The food was nice and the restaurant ambiance is great.
It is nice to find some authentique restaurant and not just a tourist restaurant where staff dont care about you.
I will go back for sure !

Reviewed 1 November 2012

I was searching on purpose for a small cafe/restaurant/bistro for lunch today, to really experience the great Paris food I remembered. I passed on a number of places big & small when I crossed a busy pedestrian mall filled w fish shops, butchers, wine shops ... surely one restaurant here would be the real deal. I settled on "Au Vins des Rues" w a good range of options & a wider assortment of wines than usual. The escargot came in a cast iron grape-shaped plate (wild) & were delicious. The glass of Morgon was so good, I had a second. The main I had was rabbit (passing on great aromas of beef & some fish dishes) and it was just super. An espresso at the end, under 40 euros it was a deal. Fine, inexpensive fare is alive and well in Paris ... you just have to take the time to track them down :)

3  Thank yvesmfarges
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Looking for dinner on Sunday, when my favourite places were closed, this looked like a good option - they had a simple menu with a couple of appealing options, and a basic bistro decor.

The service was fine, but the food I had was quite disappointing. The terrine for a starter could have been purchased from a supermarket, and the andouillette was just rubbery, lacking the punchy flavour I expect. I ordered a glass of red wine, which was thin and sour. I may have got unlucky - other diners seemed to be enjoying their food - but I won't be back.

2  Thank Simon R