“Good neighborhood bistro”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Quartier Latin
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We are visiting Paris and staying in the 5th arrondissement. On a weekday lunchtime this place was packed with locals, some outside enjoying the 10C sunny weather. I had an excellent veal ragout with lots of vegetables and fabulous spring mushrooms in a light sauce. My wife had cod poached in a light cream sauce. The dining environment was packed and busy. Our lunch for two with one coffee was 37 Euros, a very fair price. We'd be happy to enjoy another meal here.

1  Thank Archipelago

Reviewed 25 March 2018

We had heard about this restaurant and wanted to try it. We went there our first night on a recent trip to Paris and were very glad. The service was good, very helpful and friendly. The food was excellent. We started with a terrine, then my husband had a wonderful fish dish and I had the andouilette. I had never seen this on a menu in Paris and had to try it. Both the host and our server warned me that it was "smelly" but that they both liked it and so I decided to try. It is indeed smelly, but very interesting. It is made from intestines stuffed into a sausage casing, so it looks like sausage until you cut into it. The flavor is strong but not unpleasant. I was very glad ordered it.
This is a tiny restaurant, so I recommend a reservation before you come. And I recommend that you try it.

1  Thank Peggy L
Reviewed 4 February 2018

This charming bistro is the real thing....it is immediately obvious that it is frequented by locals, who engage each other, and stay for long hours, enjoying the incredible selection of wines and fairly limited food options. Like great Parisian bistros, its can be hard to find a table if you are not a regular. We tried and won by arriving before dinner and enjoying wine appetizers, and then ordering dinner when 8 pm came around. And we were rewarded for our efforts. First, the appetizers were lovely, consisting of both a half dozen Utah Beach oysters, which were fairly fresh, but not perfect, joining by a generous slab of a pate campaigne. This pate is the rough version of the very smooth pate de foie gras. We enjoyed a glasses of very flavorful champagne.
When the dinner hour arrived, we ordered easily from a short menu of main dishes. My companion enjoyed a really major piece of steak which really was hard to finish unless you enjoy a nice pound of red meat. True to form it was accompanied by a large side of French fries....i went with a piece of cod, set on a lovely base of cabbage and mashed potatoes. Again, both generous in quanitiy and excellent in finish..
We did not drink further, having not yet really recovered from jet lag, but noticed that most dinners seemed to enjoy wine in half and full carafes...there were no bottles to be seen. The variety of wines makes this place very attractive to locals and visitors alike.
Service was decent. And, the bill was modest, especially given the quality and quantity of food.
This place is a winner!!

3  Thank glrothman
Reviewed 21 October 2017

We went expecting a great meal and we thought it was only average. My husband had sausage that he thought was overly salty. The meal wasn't bad but it wasn't great. I guess we have had so many better meals in Paris that it was a disappointment. Good service, maybe it's a place for a snack and a drink, that would have been good.

1  Thank RandJSanFrancisco
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Went on a Friday when they only have smaller plates more tapas-like. Doesnt matter, the food is delicious and its so genuin. Welcoming to both tourists and locals. Have been One more time since then and it was as good then too. If you're staying near jardin Luxembourg, don't miss this place! It's worth a visit.