“One star, and only because of the great view”
Review of Cafe Marly

Cafe Marly
Ranked #8,239 of 19,144 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Louvre / Palais-Royal
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The pros: The view is fantastic. Our server was good - typical unobtrusive French service.

The cons: very low quality. We ordered tea and espresso. How bad can they ruin Mariage Freres tea? Well it tasted like nickels. I don't know if they just used a dirty metal teapot or interior metal or crap water or what, but my tea tasted like nickels. At least it cost 7.50 euros (almost $10). They should serve it in a ceramic pot so you can taste more tea than metal. And honestly, the teacup was stained with past tea. I know that it probably ran through the dishwasher and was clean enough to drink out of, but for a supposedly luxurious experience, they should have someone who checks that the teacups are presentable and if they are stained, they should use a wee bit of baking soda and scrub it out. What exactly are we paying 7.50 for? It wasn't even the nice marriage freres teabags you get in their stores, it was a crappy, tiny little teabag.

My husband paid 7.50 EUR for an espresso that basically came out cold and with no crema. Now I understand that we were sitting outside on a chilly morning. But for 7.50 the cup should have been warmed before the espresso was poured and it should have been brought out *immediately* in order to preserve the temperature and the crema.

If they can't handle a simple drink order, I would never trust them with food.

1  Thank TracieKnits
Write a ReviewReviews (1,985)

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Chic cafe with French alcohols enticingly priced. Share the terrace with some of the most fashionable of the jet set.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We knew this place was expensive, having visited before, but believed it would offer excellent food and service. Sadly, both were untrue.
We ordered Croque Madame, and coffee. They turned up both late and cold. We raised this with the waiter, who returned with equally cold food some time later.
Avoid for any reason.

Reviewed 16 March 2018

My daughter and a couple of friends ate here on a recent visit to the Louvre. They are well dressed, polite young women who speak fluent French and had saved their money to have lunch with a view. Unfortunately they were very mistreated at Cafe Marly - even more so than by Parisian standards - though they had lunched on their own in other cafes the past week with at least some polite service when they spoke French. During their meal, a female waiter took their napkins and replaced them with paper towels while she and a group of waiters laughed. My daughter was so shocked they just kept eating their meals and left not knowing how to react. I obviously can’t prove why the waiter did that but I suspect it was either because they are young or not of the fair skinned persuasion. In any case it was extremely disappointing that they had to endure this type of treatment. Perhaps there are servers at this restaurant that do a good job, but unfortunately that service did not appear to be extended to customers of all backgrounds. What a deplorable representation of French culture for them to experience.

2  Thank TravelBugDiva
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

Amazing location so guess that’s why you pay the price. A simple menu which is ok of course but my Cesar salad was killed by lashings of thick creamy dressing. I was with a group of business colleagues and it was a struggle to fit all the various plates and dishes on our little table despite there being other far larger tables available.