“Nice cosy hotel in Montparnasse”

Hotel A La Villa Des Artistes
Ranked #332 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I spent a weekend here and had a good stay. Great location and good service, quiet room and fine breakfast. Free wifi for me is always a must. Staff was friendly and efficient. The room itself is good size for Paris in this price category and the bathroom was large and comfy. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 November 2011

I stayed here two years ago ..we had a nice room and the location was excellent. So we booked it again ....oh dear.

Staff were rude and disinterested. Breakfast was €16 euros each -a ripoff. (We didnt partake)I paid for the artists room (Rooms at the top of the hotel duplex style. (Nice space but completely overpriced at €330 /night )and we stayed for three.

We had problems with cards for the room -you can only have one and connection to "zare free wifi" required a degree in astrophysics.

Oh dear I do hate being negative.Nearby metro allows access to main sites quickly -so that didn't bother us.

We wont be back to this hotel

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pvjirealnd
Reviewed 22 October 2011

OK, first things first, I spent MONTHS looking for a good quality hotel in Paris. I saw the pictures online, checked out the website and read the Tripadvisor reviews. I didnt mind spending a little extra to get a quality stay on my first visit to France. I thought I found the perfect fit...boy was I wrong!

Location - hotel is in Montparnasse - not in the centre, but it tries to compensate by being a 2 min walk to Vavin metro. Most tourist attractions are not on this line though and transferring between lines can mean endless underground walks. Sure, it seems simple enough to transfer, but it is not practical when you are sightseeing in such a big city and have limited time. I would definitely recommend staying in St Germain de Pres/Latin Quarter - city centre, cheaper accommodation according to several friends (would you believe!) and probably a much better overall holiday experience.

Note: Hotel is 5 minute walk to the back of Luxembourg Gardens though. You need to walk all the way through to reach recognisable tourist sites.

Service - so the French have a well established international reputation for not being extremely friendly people - but the staff here bring it to a whole other level. I was shocked by how the evening reception man spoke to me (and I am close to fluent in the language!!) when I asked about a room problem. I tried explaining in English as a last resort to which he said he could not leave the reception desk as he was alone in the hotel, despite the fact that it could mean any random person could enter my room at night...to top things off he then joked about me and my question with a service man who was next in line (and I could obviously understand as I speak the language!!) The other reception staff were ok, however short with me and my questions, appearing busy and indifferent to my concerns. Some even pretended to not speak English...do they realise they are running a tourist based business?

Value - way too expensive for the experience, service and location. What a rip off! Stay elsewhere...

Sleep Quality - I stayed here several nights and each weekday awoke early to the sound of drilling due to renovations a metre across the street...

Cleanliness - generally this is the highlight of the hotel. The room was very clean, although extremely small. AC also needs to be constantly moderated to avoid suffocation.

Breakfast - I read on a few other reviews breakfast was complimentary this month (Oct 2011). Certainly wasnt the case when I visited last month - has this changed? I called up a few weeks in advance and checked if breakfast was included in my booking to which I was told yes but at the hotel was repeatedly told I'd have to pay extra on top of the already overcharged price. No thanks.

Restaurants close by are plenty, however some are on the expensive side like Le Dome. I loved going to L'Atelier (2 min walk past Vavin metro entrance) to get yummy scrambled eggs with bacon at half the price of the hotel breakfast. You wont be disappointed. Staff are so lovely and friendly too.

I'd recommend reading as much about hotels before deciding on one in Paris and I'd steer well clear of this one - far away from main tourist sites, overly priced, rude staff and small rooms. I really regret my choice and I'd like to help other young travellers not make the same one.

Room Tip: If you decide on this hotel, ask for a room facing the inner courtyard, not the street unless you wa...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank girl_abroad99
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in October 2011 and had a fantastic time. We were intentionally trying to avoid the crowds near the major tourist hotspots of the Louvre, Notre Dame, etc. An American ex-pat who had lived in Paris recommended the 6th arrondissement to get a feel for Parisian city life. The hotel is just a few steps from the busy Montparnasse area and is convenient to many Metro lines.

I had searched TripAdvisor for weeks to find a place that would be acceptable to my wife, who has a bit of a thing about things being clean and orderly :-). This hotel fit the bill. If Best Western had the same quality establishments in the USA that they have in Europe, they would be a high end brand.

Yes, the rooms are not big, but Paris is like Manhattan as far as room size is concerned. If you spend more than sleeping time in your room in Paris, then you have a problem--get out and see the city! The bathroom was small as well, but spotlessly clean. Our room windows opened to an internal courtyard, which was great because it was so quiet. A view in Paris probably means lots of street noise, so they are a bit overrated.

The staff at the hotel was quite accommodating, spoke excellent English and went out of the way to help us. Michael, in particular, went out of his way to find us wine glasses when we returned to the hotel with a bottle of Bordeaux.

When we return to Paris we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank NPBFlorida
Reviewed 11 October 2011

This hotel is very well located for major transport options and 5th, 6 th, 7th, and 14th arrondissements.

As is usual in Paris, accommodation is compact but very comfortable. All staff encountered were friendly and helpful.

Good restaurant/eating options abound in this area. Vavin metro on the next corner, fare Montparnasse a short walk away.

• Stayed: October 2011