“Excellent small hotel but challenging bathroom”

Hotel Design Sorbonne
Ranked #274 of 1,809 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 31 July 2012

All of the previous reviews commenting on the great location ,transport links good choice of restaurants within a 5 minute walk are totally accurate .Also (unlike a lot of hotels in Paris ) the reception desk were very helpful and were willing to phone restaurants and make reservations for us .
We expected the room to be small and it was .We were on the second floor and overlooked the courtyard -with the window open at night we found it quite noisy,I don't know if the building on the other side of the courtyard is a residence for Insead but we were woken by a very loud argument from a room on the other side of the courtyard (obviously nothing the Hotel can do about that ).
However the challenge was the bathroom which was beyond tiny .I reckon it was 4 feet from the back of the sink to the back wall .The sink was tiny with a shelf cunningly positioned so that every time I bent down I banged my head .The shower was the most entertaining feature -it was so small that twice i bumped in to the tap ,Once switching it off and the other turning the water to hot ! I know its all rather trivial but having paid for a superior room i expected something with room to swing a very small cat .I even asked reception if we had been given a standard room by mistake.
Hint-avoid room 27

Room Tip: Check the size of the room before you unpack
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,348)

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here end July 2012 for a city break. 5 mins from Luxembourg station and jardin du Luxembourg which is lovely

we had a double room on the ground floor looking into courtyard - lovely decor, free wifi and new mac TV, ok hairdryer, basic toiletries, the room is quite dark, very clean. Bathroom is relatively small but good shower and again very clean.

staff very friendly, they let us leave our bags there pre check in and post check out, there is a breakfast room but we didnt sample!

would definitely recommend

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Chose this hotel for the location and because of the photos and wasn't disappointed on either. Was easy walking to Notre Dame and even walked to The Lourve and Catacombs as well. Lots of nice places to eat in the area, especially enjoyed breakfest at Crepes a Gogo on the nearby Rue de Soufflot. As mentioned in all other reviews the rooms are tiny, and getting in and out of the shower and bathroom is a technical procedure of opening doors the right way. The staff was very friendly and helpful, asked to stay another night and got it at the discounted rate ($157), would definitely not pay the 'full price' rates they advertise on the website. Had no problems with the internet, only thing is that they do change the password regularly, around 5pm so if it stops working then this is probably the issue! All up very happy with the accommodation, just wish we could've stayed longer!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2012

this hotel is brilliant.

i loved the location. all within very easy walking distance - Notre Dame, the latin quarter (which is worth a whole weekend on it's own), the place de la sorbonne (some nice little cafes for a glass of wine and a people watch), plenty of shops, cafes, beautiful buildings, gardens, and easy access to the main tourist destinations.

we actually walked from here to the musee d'orsay (free as it was the first of the month), then on to the Invalides, via the Institut de france, and la tour. we didn't queue to go up the tower though as only one elevator was working, and it was a 6 (yes six) hour wait!

anyway the point is, from here, you can easily walk to most places! (the batobus was great too and stops only minutes from the hotel).

as with all Paris hotels the room isn't enormous, though it was big enough for two and was well equipped.

i was happy with the free wifi (saved on data roaming!), and the internet, though we couldn't seem to manage to connect our ipods, which was disappointing, but not a real problem.

the room was reasonably well equipped, and very clean, though more towels and maybe tea/coffee making would have been nice.

Staff at the hotel were helpful, and polite, spoke English, and didn't treat me like an idiot when I tried my risty A level French (unlike the taxi driver and a few waiters we encountered!).

I really did enjoy my stay here, it was wonderful, and I'm definitely planning another visit soon. a weekend is NOT enough time to spend in Paris, I think I need to move there for months to fit it all in, and then I don't think it will be enough!

the only negative is the breakfast, just not enough variety I'm afraid, especially for the price. better to go out! if not to the cafes in the square, there's a starbucks about 2 minutes walk away.

oh and don't be scared of the metro, it's brilliant. and the double decker trains on the RER are fab!

Room Tip: beware of the very very tiny lift. only just managed to fit 2 girls and cabin bags in!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2012

For my second trip to Paris I chose this hotel as I wanted to be within walking distance to the Notre Dame and the lovely little streets behind it. The location didn't disappoint. There is a lovely square by the hotel - place de la Sorbonne with convenient restaurants / cafes for coffee, breakfast or a quick bite. The hotel is very boutique, nicely decorated and bijou. The staff are excellent, they will help and advise on anything which you need to know. The young gentleman was great at assisting with our planning for a desired Jazz-based night out. There are lots of windy streets nearby which are okay for a cheap meal or souvenirs but do feel a little like Turkey rather than Paris! Convenient to have them near though and you can bypass them if desired. My main tip for Paris is not to plan too much, if you're on an itinery and always hiding behind a map you will miss the wonderful surprises which this City has to offer. Let the day take you rather than trying to control it and you will have a much more pleasant and special stay! Would I recommend or stay here again? Yes, if it fits your budget and location desires, go for it! Xx

• Stayed: July 2012