“Small, unique, nice”
Review of Hotel Verlain

Hotel Verlain
Ranked #984 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 2 June 2016

The hotel was very small, and we almost missed it. The neighbor hood is a bit rundown, but has local character, which I enjoy. The front desk people were more than helpful, especially Olivier, and he remembered us and would ask if we needed help finding anything that day. The room was also very small -I call it cozy. There was no odor as described by another reviewer. The view was not picturesque, but interesting. Why did I like it? I guess because it is not just another cookie cutter hotel room and reflects the true neighborhood. There were laundromats nearby and the metro ran very close as well. Not having a car at this time, that was important to us. I would go again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: If you need a view, ask for a room with one.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 May 2016 via mobile

I just checked out of this hotel and it was ok. Nothing to rave about. It does the job. The location is good, there are lots of funky little bars and restaurants around so it's worth exploring the area. The metro is super close so that makes it really fantastic for getting around the city. The people at the front desk were ok, some had a bit of an attitude but nothing crazy. The ugly: there was construction right in front of the hotel and it started at 8am so if you're planning on sleeping late, good luck!
Also, the hotel is right across from a few bars and restaurants and you can hear all the chatter and noise from the outside at night. Please note that my window opened to the this part of the street (bars at night and construction is the morning) and I was on the 6th floor. I'm not sure if I would stay there again.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 December 2015

The hotel staff was very helpful. David at the front desk was very welcoming and we enjoyed his humor. It is such a convenient area. The metro is a couple of blocks away. The area is full of bars and restaurants. Not a tourist area, you are in a Parisian neighborhood. The hotel had an elevator that I was not expecting at all. The breakfast buffet had a good variety of items, nothing fancy, just basic, yogurt, fruit, hard boiled eggs, a variety of breads and cheese.

Room Tip: Our room faced an indoor courtyard so it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2015

This hotel is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! Lets take into consideration that I have traveled to many countries. Upon arrival, the first thing I noticed was the fact that the area was quit run down and there were many patrons at side bars being very loud. To make matters worse, there were no lights to indicate that there was even a hotel present. After having checked in, we were told that we were not allowed to have food in the room! (seriously?) The elevator could not even fit two average size adults with two bags. The hallways were dark and smelled moldy. As we entered the room there was a foul odor coming from the bathroom but given the matchbox size of the room it had the entire room smelling like raw sewage. The air condition didn't work, there were loud drunkards on the streets ALLL night. It was just a horrendous experience overall. I highly recommend anyone that's looking for a hotel in Paris to NOT stay here!!!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2015

The hotel is located near Pere Lachaise cemetary, so it is not central, but therefore it is reasonably priced. Metro stop is just accross the street. The staff was helpful and pleasant, the bed was comfortable, the lift is small but that is to be expected in older buildings (I have been in smaller ones). There is a minibar, and free coffee and tee in the room. Bathroom was nice. It looks like the hotel was refurbished recently, as the walls were very clean (no marks /dirt from the suitcases). We had a room facing the yard and we slept well. For small bags the room is ok, for big ones it might be a bit tight, but there may be bigger rooms, ours was the cheapest.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple