“What a culinary selection of French cookbooks”

Librairie Gourmande
Ranked #85 of 747 Shopping in Paris
Reviewed 7 March 2016

If you can read French & love to cook/cookbooks , you may have found heaven in this bookstore. Wow what a culinary selection of French cookbooks. I always find a special book or two every time I visit. This time was no different. A wonderful Gluten free one!

1  Thank The_Rock_50

Reviewed 9 June 2014

A waiter at my hotel restaurant tipped me off about this spot, and I wasn't disappointed. I had inquired whether the chef had any recommendations for a good bread baking cookbook (in a quest to reproduce une baguette traditionelle) and he suggested that I pay this librairie a visit. It is quaint and easily overlooked - definitely not a tourist attraction, but rather a place where locals shop. The bottom floor is primarily devoted to wine and the top floor la cuisine. If you're lucky, you may even arrive during a book - signing event by one of France's top chef's. I spent over an hour just browsing their section on boulanderie and patisserie, and could have spent hours more. I agree with other reviews regarding the helpful attitude of the staff. I thought they really tried to understand exactly what I wanted, pulled multiple texts off the shelf for me to see, and offered feedback from other patrons about the various titles they showed me. There is a small English section, but this destination is best for French speakers - it will definitely be a destination of mine every time I'm in Paris.

1  Thank LPMIII
Reviewed 29 August 2013

After a couple days of doing the touristy Parisian stuff, I needed some shopping therapy. This small bookstore specializes in culinary books. I spent a great deal of time checking out the wine & cocktails sections.

I speak French, but I am not a native French speaker. I have had mixed French language bookstore experiences in before in Montreal. Shopping for literature that's written in something other than your mother tongue can be a scary endeavor if you happen to be dealing with a book snob employee.

The staff here were extremely friendly & helpful. Hands down, the BEST customer service experience I had in Paris. I highly recommend this place for a unique shopping experience.

2  Thank Scott Z
Reviewed 17 May 2013

A wonderful book store packed with cook books. Yes, most are in French, but. don't let that deter you. If you are serious about food, language is not a barrier. There are a number of books in English also as well as a fine section of cookbooks for children and I have found some good ones for my grandchildren.

1  Thank Colby J