“Beautiful Hotel, Disappointing Room and Service”

InterContinental Paris Le Grand
Ranked #220 of 1,804 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 24 September 2017

This is such a beautiful hotel with elegant decor, and it's one of the most stunning in design that I've ever seen. Still, my stay was very disappointing. I'll start with the good parts. The bed is very comfortable. The staff is friendly and they give a welcome gift of French plums, which were sweet, both in taste and gesture.

Now, the bad parts:
1. Ice box room: I got to my room and it was an ice box, think 10 degrees C (or 50 F). It was so cold that I couldn't stay in the room long. I asked multiple people how to raise the temperature on the old thermostat, and they all gave me different answers. Finally, I seemed to find a way because I felt the room getting warmer.

I left for a cruise on the Seine in a knee-length dress and walked around until past midnight, and I wasn't cold. As soon as I got back to the hotel, the room was freezing cold. They had adjusted the temperature again. It was late so I readjusted the thermostat again, and prayed the room would get warmer. It barely did.

2. No hot shower water: The sink had very hot water, but the shower did not. The handle was turned to 50, which I assumed was Celsius. In Celsius, the water would be scalding hot, but the water was barely warm. It was the quickest shower of my life. I also considered using the sink water to shower.

3. No shower door: To make matters worse, the shower had no door or partition (see my photo), so I was now showering in cold water amidst the ice box room. I was very careful and faced outward, and water still got everywhere on the floor. Later, I checked and other bathrooms have a glass partition.

4. Noise: I fell asleep after an hour of shivering from the cold. I was so cold that I didn't even want to get out of bed to use the bathroom. The following morning at 6am, I woke up to a ton of street noise, even though my room faced inward, and from 9am to 1pm, there was construction in an adjacent room.

5. Check-in and check-out: Each took 20 minutes, even though 3 people were at the desk. The process is incredibly slow and for comparison purposes, the Astotel Opera and Saint Petersbourg took less than 5 minutes. Fortunately, I moved to those 2 hotels because Le Grand did not have rooms the following days.

6. No phone service: I tried calling the front desk multiple times to figure out the room temperature, to change one of the hand towels that reeked of cologne, and to get a tube of toothpaste. No one ever picked up. Later, I tried calling room service to order a quick bite. Again, no one picked up.

I thought about mentioning all this at check-out, and I did bring up the shower door, but check-out was already so slow that I did not want to hold up others. Now, I'm sitting here writing this with a cold, which started 24 hours after my stay. My two-week Europe trip started at Le Grand and it literally ruined the rest of my trip.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank NewYorkCityNative
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Hello NewYorkCityNative,

Thank you for taking time to leave us a candid review about InterContinental Paris Le Grand. I recognize your stay was not 100% satisfactory because of issues with the rooms air conditioning system, no hot water in the shower and the rooms sound proofing. I am sorry for the letdown.

IHG values your experience with our hotels and I have sent you a private message so we can gather some additional information regarding your experience. Please allow us another chance to make things right.

Looking forward to hear from you soon!

Cheers,

Ronald R.
Case Manager
IHGService

Write a ReviewReviews (2,979)

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

The hotel is great place in Paris. The room rate is always in a fair price. Not like other hotel in Paris which having seasonal rate which jump up 3 times to normal rate.
Breakfast also fantastic with croissant.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2017

We stayed there for two nights while on a tour. It is luxurious and the staff are friendly, helpful and accommodating. The location is great for touring around the Opera area of Paris and for walking to Sacre Coeur however most of the restaurants in the area are expensive. We would never stay here on our own accord as the pricing are beyond our means but it was nice to experience for a short while.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra F
IC-Paris-Le-Grand, General Manager at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the InterContinental Paris Le Grand for your recent stay in Paris and for taking the time to share your valuable feedbacks.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed a great moment in our company and that you appreciated the quality of our services and the location of our establishment, indeed ideal in the heart of Paris and face to beautiful Opera Garnier.

We wish to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future,

Kind regards,

Christophe Laure
Area General Manager Paris

Reviewed 21 September 2017

Gouge in wallpaper, fraying carpet, water stains and chips out of table, mold smell. This booking was made thru Avalon and after showing them the pictures they said they would have the hotel move us. But my traveling companion had already unpacked and didn't want hassle of move for two nights.

Room Tip: Not room 3310
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Samantha314
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Paris Le Grand, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Hello Samantha314,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. I am sorry to read about the overall condition of the room assigned to you. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I’d like to contact you privately so we have sent you a private message.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts. I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at the Le Grand hotel and it met our expectations of a hotel of this stature. The breakfast is outstanding and definitely worth it. We had at room with an extraordinary view of the opera and our room was spacious and very comfortable.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

It is such a pleasure to read your kind words. Thank you sincerely for choosing to stay at the InterContinental Paris Le Grand hotel and for taking the time to share your experience.

We are glad to see that you had a pleasant moment in our company and enjoyed your room with the magnificent view on the Palais Garnier.

Thank you for highlighting the quality of the breakfast in the Café de la Paix, it will be an honour for me to share your kind words with the team.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon again,
Kind regards,