“Good location but otherwise average.”

Saint James Albany Hotel-Spa
Ranked #589 of 1,800 Hotels in Paris
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Good location but otherwise average.”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed for a week during the Christmas period. We were upgraded and for that extremely grateful. However, the service at the hotel only went downhill from the time we checked in.

Firstly, the staff at breakfast were not polite at all. Often we were told off for helping ourselves to the coffee but the truth is we were often waiting too long (up to 10 mins after sitting) before we decided to do it ourselves.

Secondly, the housekeeping staff seemed to have minds of their own instead of following a standard procedure. One day we get our bath gel refilled and the next they decided to clear all and not give us any replacement. Same with shampoo and shower caps.

At first, we thought the best thing about the hotel was the concierge. Specifically Christoph. He was very helpful all the time we were there and recommended really good restaurants we can go too. We were really pleased and even tipped him the day before we left. However, we were rather shocked with his last booking for us which is tickets to a show at the opera house. He told us the tickets were 160 euros but when we went to pick up the tickets, it was printed 98 euros. I expected to be charged slightly more than the ticket price, maybe administration fee or referral fee. But 60 euros extra was appaling. We were very disappointed at the end with such dishonesty.

Lastly, the story about room service. First night I called to ask for a kettle, they told me they have none and instead brought me a flask of hot water which was fine with me. Next night, I asked for hot water and they told me I can have a kettle for 50 euros deposit. I said okay because I enjoy a cup of tea or hot chocolate at night before I sleep. However, when I asked for a teaspoon, they wanted to charge me 5 euros!! This was seriously uncalled for.

I don't think I will return to stay at this hotel. Thank goodness the location was great, and it was Christmas so we decided to overlook these matters at that time.

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank travelingsurfergirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Very well situated hotel. shopping, museums - everything is close. Definitely the hotel has some security problems - anybody can enter and you will see no evident reaction from the staff.
Being in the restaurant be carefull and don't place your mobile phones and wallets on the table. A group of teenagers can suddenly approach your table and your goods will disappear. I may conclude it's not a coincidence that thieves approach the tables only if there is something precious on them.

• Stayed December 2011
Denver, CO
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We were planning on staying in a less touristy neighborhood, but after getting a good deal on this hotel we decided to spend the extra $20-30 and stay here instead. It was the best decision of the entire trip!
This place was amazing. Yes, if you're looking for something that's out of star wars, this place was built a couple of decades before that movie was even conceived. But this is Paris, folks. I can't get it through my head sometimes why people want the same thing everywhere.
The reception was both professional and friendly. The walk to the room definitely pointed out to us that this is an old building - not in disrepair or anything - though there is also renovation work going on - but classic. Then we entered the room, "Where's the bed?" The room we walked into had no bed in it - until one took the stairs up to the second floor in the room! The bathroom was quite modern - both shower and tub. The front desk _must_ have upgraded our room. If I ever find out that this is a standard room, I'm staying there every time I'm in Paris.
The location can't be beat. It is within walking distance of many attractions and there is a metro station just across the street.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank gadgetman13
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 8 December 2011

we were on a company sponsored trip to Paris. We were a large bunch of boisterous (mostly young) people.

We visited in July which was just about perfect. The weather was fantastic.

This hotel is all about its location. We were right across the Louvre museum. Anybody with any interest in anything must visit this museum. The building used to be a palace of the king. It is good looking but not something that you behold. But yes, it is big. The museum itself is the real deal. Anybody with any sense of art and history will need at least a full day to absorb its contents.

The Seine river is just across the road and a river cruise is a must.

The Arc de Triomphe is just a five minute walk. In fact, some of us even walked up to the Eiffel Tower.

There is a lovely Indian/Pakistani restaurant behind this hotel block (5 mins walk). The owner is a very warm Pakistani gentleman. The vegetarian options are not too many here, but mark my words, it will be among the best Indian food you would have ever tasted.

The rooms are small (though clean).

We spent more time walking around this area, than in the hotel. The fantastic location saves you a lot of taxi fare.

Room Tip: must try for rooms that have a view of the Seine river
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank nit_pnu
London, UK
Reviewed 3 December 2011

I am sure this hotel in its day would have been amazing, but my room was looking a little tired. Reception and restaurant areas are lovely and more modern.
My room was overlooking the courtyard so nice and peaceful.

Excellent location, I enjoyed a walking around the area in the evenings.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over a courtyard for a quiet nights sleep.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business