“Best restaurant for a veggie, special, romantic and fantastic meal”
Review of La Locanda

La Locanda
Ranked #9,324 of 18,020 Restaurants in Paris
Price range: US$24 - US$61
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Description: Romantic and fine Italian food in Saint Germain des Pres district. One of the oldest and most beautiful streets of Paris. A XVI century town house serves delicious Italian dishes since 1997. Martino, the owner since day 1, take care of you personally. US graduate, Boston and Louisville resident, loves to explain how dishes are made, the history of recipes, the neighborhood secrets and much more. Since the opening, refined international customers blend with locals. Not a "tourist trap" just an international parisian resident crowd chose La Locanda for the food, the atmosphere and the fun. Reservations are not mandatory but strongly suggested on weekends. A few tables are available for couples outside on the sidewalk. The street is very quiet so you can enjoy a nice evening outside as well. Good music inside. Grappa and limoncello is generally offered and will enable you to stay a few minutes more with our company. See you. Martino
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The second time my boyfriend and I have visited Paris and it is so hard finding romantic and nice looking restaurants with vegetarian dishes. We walked past this one last year and recall there not being a vegetarian dish so went to the clinical cold all white restaurant next door...la dolce or something (where the woman tried to translate every ingredient to find a vegetarian dish. She said 'This is a courgette, you know, like a cucumber that you cook'...soo funny) Anyway we tried very hard this time with recognizing food.

Finally after a couple of hours of wondering St Germain area, we stumbled upon the restaurant we wanted to go in last time. The atmosphere was perfect. lighting, music, service was all really really warming and relaxing and romantic. The dishes were pricey but we had saved up for a lavish last night. We had free bread which was topped up unlike other places, olives and breadsticks. My veggie boyfriend got a simple pasta dish which was very tasty, the only negative being it was a bit too small for the price. I chose the Lamb, with mushrooms, med veg and salad all flavoured and seasoned and cooked perfectly. Best lamb i've ever had, not much of it again, but well worth it. Even the mushrooms were amazing. We had a 30euro bottle of red (cheapest being around 27euros) which again was lovely. What topped it off was our puddings. Around 8 euros each- I had a delicious Pannacotta with a lovely syrup and strawberries slices and the boyfriend had a homemade Tiramasu which even I liked, not too soggy or boozy, and I don't like Tiramasu.

Anyway, great atmos, great food,, lovely restaurant and I want to go there everytime i visit Paris.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

The owner is a bad clown
the food is OK little priecy
the service is a CATA as my 9 years old son says (Catastroph, arnaqueur, Pirate, ...)
In few words the best thing that could happen to you is have your food and leave

4  Thank MicBan
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The food wasn't cooked and my husband was charged $62 Euros for risotto with white truffles when he ordered risotto with mushrooms for $26. The server did take off $12 Euros but we were dissapointed he didn't get what he ordered and had to pay an enormous fee...he didn't even finish it. The decor inside and ambience is lovely, however, just not the food.

5  Thank TMattingly
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Came here with my boyfriend and another couple back in March. Very average food and service and very costly. I had the squid ink risotto which was actually quite good - but when it rang up at almost 30E - it quickly sunk in that it was not "that" good. My boyfriend had sub par ravioli which was very non descript and needed to be seasoned better. The service was okay but I think that we had it better than most of the tables because our friends have gone in several times before.

I can't really think of anything horrible to say about the place - it really was just average food an service - but at a much higher cost than deserved for both. They step up the quality of the food that they offer and the service that they give.

Reviewed 15 May 2011

We've asked for an artichock salad as a starter. It was not bad, but really tiny (namely considering the 18 euros it costed us). The worst was still about to come.

We've ordered tuna gnocchi, waiting for a melting home made gnocchi. Instead, we've got a semi-frozen ripped gnocchi in the worst can tomato sauce we've tasted since old university times. No tuna fish inside and lots of cheese instead. We're not Italian, but as we go there regularly and love their food and culture, we know that its not usual to have pasta with cheese and any kind of fish/seafood. After the complaining, our old terrible gnocchi comes back to the table with about 5 small pieces of too well done tuna fish. Incredibly disrespectful.

To make it short: we've payed 100 euros for the worst meal we've had in ages. It felt like a robbery. Prefer a snadwich from any supermarket with a good wine in any Paris street.

4  Thank MarinaSouza