“What no Gin and Tonic”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 October 2017

Epernay was busy on the Friday night and this was second choice but so pleased our first choice was full. At first it seems a very small restaurant with a few tables as you enter but judging by the number of people taken through the back they have additional seating. They were very busy on the night we went and turned many people away, so if you are eating on Friday in Epernay book! Service got off to a little shaky start but then we were served by a lovely lady with enough command of the English Language. I ordered form the 40€ menu my wife went off the menu. Champagne used to be my passion but unfortunately I can not enjoy it so after a very good beer I asked for a Gin & Tonic which prompted lots of French shrugs and looks of what was I doing in Epernay asking for a G &T, they did not have Gin and Tomic! After several discussions they left without taking an order. for my alternative, so I called them back and asked for a beer The lady said would I not wait a few minutes as they had sent out for a bottle of Gi, 5 stars for effort. And the meal deliciously French, price good value

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

What a treat Friendly staff, great food and a great french atmosphere. We love the french kitchen. Look at our picture and remember to book a table

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Saturday night, we secured the last table in a packed venue. This was a birthday celebration, and despite a language mismatch the staff 'came to the party' with candles on the birthday boy's creme brulée. The ambience was of a simple local champenois restaurant, with small tables and a constant chatter. Food was very good, and the selection of champagnes from on the wine list was comprehensive. Service was a little haphazard (over 40 minutes before our order was taken, and a couple who entered after we did were finished and gone before we received main course), but fortunately we were in no hurry and it didn't bother us. Worth going for the food.

Reviewed 25 September 2017

We visited the restaurant following a nearby Moet & Chandon tour, and had the set menu. The starter was salmon & lentils with a beautiful sauce, coq au vin for main which was average and a nice chocolate and cream dessert. Service was decent enough and it felt like we were in a genuine, traditional French restaurant.

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

I went to La Cave a Champagne after a recommendation.
The place is very small, about 14 tables, but the have only 1 waiter; we waited about 10 minutes to get the menus. After waiting another 10 minutes, I ordered chicken liver and my wife Foie Gras as starters; terrible, the Foie Gras was a Pate and not Chicken liver, the served chicken breast; we were served one starter and the second one arrived 10 after. The mains were good; dessert, panna cotta and kind of cake, another disappointment, the panna cotta was very firm with whipped cream hidden the panna cotta.
At the end we spent 2,5 hours in a very disappointing dinner.
Suggestion, order only the mains, they are good; the rest forget it.