“Food worthy of the highest praise, Service excellent as was the wine suggestions.”
Review of Les Berceaux

Les Berceaux
Ranked #9 of 85 Restaurants in Epernay
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 November 2017

My wife and I went to this restaurant whilst on a 3 night stay in Epernay recently.
We chose this restaurant after reading comments on this site about all the fine dining options available in this city.
We were delighted with the service and attention we received from the staff. The food choices were excellent quality and we asked for and enjoyed the advice on which wine we should/ could drink to match the dishes chosen.
The quantity of food provided was more than adequate and it was presented in a most appertising way. The atmosphere was quiet calm and contributed to our enjoyment.

1  Thank Leon B

Reviewed 13 November 2017

I was part of a group visiting Epernay for a special get away this last weekend and we selected Les Berceaux for it’s Michelin* rating.

I can easily say this is the worst 1* I have visited in both food quality and service and for context I have been to 12 Michelin* restaurants across Europe (1*-3*) as well as dozens of other fine dining restaurants.

Our experience in service at LesB ranged from being greeted with an awful smell when we entered the restaurant to waiters talking over us and not bothering to refill our glasses. With the food delivery, when we asked for a veal dish to be well done, we were told the chef would decide (it came back almost raw) and when we asked for black pepper we were told they do not have any. Finally, and this is just a professional bug-bear, but the plates that the food came on were a mishmash of outdated and contemporary, almost like they ran low on the old stuff and bought whatever they could to replace them.

Food quality
The wine we had with the meal was good and the selection was not bad - what you would expect in fine dining, but the experience went down hill quickly after that and never came up again. I had the 5 course for €95 which started with my asking for a beer and the selection offered was……Jupiler, nothing else, nothing craft or contemporary, just crappy Jupiler which isn’t even French! The food started with the lobster terrine which was reasonable in flavour but unimaginative and nothing remarkable. An ordinary dish. The Sea bass to follow was the best of the bunch but again uninspired in flavour and I was lucky I didn’t take the Turbot as that was overcooked. Next came the famous hare and foie gras ‘Lievre a la royale’. The ‘famous’ hare was very dry, tough and chewy despite the 7h cooking time that the waiter assured us would make it moist and tender. It was also sitting in a large pool of anonymous brown sauce - the appearance lacked fitness and elegance. Then came the cheeses and the bread choice offered.... wasn’t a choice. The same uninspired small bread that was served at the start (with no butter it has to be said) was again served and a small cheese board was offered. The cheeses were again OK but nothing more than that and the selection we had at our Airbnb was tastier (as an example the aged Comte offered at LesB had significantly less flavour than the standard Leclerq Comte we had back at the house) The dessert was fried mini bananas ‘from the islands’! Again this was reasonable going on tasty but lacking in anything really special.

At no point during the meal did any of our group have a wow moment (apart from with the wine) and it was actually the opposite when the veal request was ignored and the black pepper was completely missing. As an aside, none of us attempted to photograph any of the dishes, they were that ordinary and this is how I would describe the whole experience, ordinary, nowhere close to other 1* restaurants, not deserving of the star and certainly not worth the money. What a disappointment.

Reviewed 7 November 2017

Very busy good quality restaurant but you will struggle to get through the proposed 4 courses. Two will probably be enough.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

We saved this restaurant for the last day of our trip to celebrate with style... If you like the classic french style this is a place for you. Try the degustation menu and unlike some modern fine dining restaurants I can assure you that here you will not leave the place hungry... Or to be more precise it will be hard to leave the restaurant as you will have difficulty to stand up. Huge portions, beautiful selection for champagne and wine (at a reasonable price), leave it up to the sommelier to suggest something that you never heard of and you will be surprised about the quality.

Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

We ate our anniversary dinner here and the three course meal was amazing!! It was our favorite meal of the trip in Epernay.....but I know we missed the one place I heard from locals that also had great food, chez max. They speak English and the service was superb.