All reviews rooms are small but clean stayed here for one night central location euros avenue
Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

When we travel we usually aim for cheap accomodation close to tge city centre which allows easy exploring. This hotel is well located, although we knew that beforehand. Everything else about tge hotel we thought was disappointing. We don't mind things a bit shabby, but this went well beyond that. The door handle was broken both on the outside & the inside and was frequently difficult to close (I wondered that if this v old shabby hotel caught on fire would I be able to get out of the room!). The shower rose vertical "slide" was broken and held together with a black rubber type of band. The bed was ok to sleep on but they only gave the room one long pillow which was not a pillow but a long cylinder the width of the bed for us to "share" which was both v v strange and v v uncomfortable. No other pillows were forthcoming.
Getting up the four flights of stairs to the room seemed like a fairground ride given the v large inward slope of some of the stair levels. We wanted to have a coffee in bed in the morning and as there were no facilities in the room for tea or coffee we asked the two waitstaff, who were v pleasant, and they allowed us to take a cup of coffee to the room (we carried them up the tricky stairs ourselves & the bad black coffee was a few euro per cup).
The rooms are advertised as having wifi but after we arrived it didn't work in our room on any of 2xphones or 2xtablets which is a big nuisance these days when wifi is advertised. When we went downstairs to ask if it could be fixed the owner said he could do nothing and the owner's wife said she had wifi in her room and wouldn't even listen when I tried to suggest maybe turning the unit off & back on again. She seemed to be saying "not my problem - go away" or something similar which I found inappropriate, incredibly frustrating and rude. The approach from both owners throughout our 4 day stay seemed to be one of total indifference. Eventually one of the waitresses took on board my suggestion to reboot the system and that worked for 1 day before it crashed again and the owners wouldn't reboot the system again.

As I said at the start we're experienced at staying in cheap accommodation and we found the experience the worst we have experienced from both an outright & a value perspective (this includes comparisons to our stays in developing countries). I believe it wouldn't take much to run an old shabby hotel that was cheap yet still decent but it seemed to me that the owners don't care.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2017

One of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in! Room 207 has half of the lights and light switches not working, a broken sink plug, the waste water pipe leaked when we tried emptying the sink, and a broken toilet seat that kept sliding off the rim of the toilet bowl. These were mentioned to the receptionist on duty on the evening that we arrived.

Save the money and sleep on a park bench instead.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 August 2017

Great location in the middle of the city. Close to the Avenue the Champagne what makes it great. Lots of restaurants closeby. De rooms are small but clean. The hotel is cheap so you know what you can expect. A dubble room with small bathroom is 55€. The beds aren't very comfortable, but that's my personal opinion.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Terrible hotel! Bad smell from the sewer in bathroom that spread in the entire room. Booked 2 nights but checked out early morning before breakfast after first night. The hotel is really old and in bad shape and need to be rebuilt. Bathrooms are terrible!
However friendly staff and I told them that we were not satisfied and they immediate accepted not to change for one of our two rooms.

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

This hotel is adequate considering the price. I guess a lot of people would probably disagree with me but I found this place rather charming. Everything worked, but you also got the feeling that pretty much nothing had changed here for the last thirty or forty years. Staff was friendly. Not sure I would go back, not sure I wouldn't. Depends on if the building is still standing next time I'm in Epernay.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple