US$401
Relais & Châteaux
Free cancellation until 26/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$131
Auberge du Morvan(Alligny en Morvan)
Free cancellation until 25/07
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
  • Bar/Lounge
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

We really like this hotel, it is good value, interesting and friendly. This was our third visit and we shall go again. Our restaurant meal whilst reasonably priced was somewhat disappointing. Both of our meat dishes (lamb and beef steak) suffered by the meat not being tender (nothing to do with the length of time being cooked). We left most of it and were surprised that this wasn't noticed by the waiter, we could have sent it back I guess but this was the first disappointment and they are very nice. In retrospect we should have said something!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2017

We had three nights here. It's really nice on some levels, i.e. very clean, nice pillows and bed, good amenities, but a bit poor on others - no curtain in the shower, very poor wi-fi, tired looking.

We had a room which overlooked the road and there are lorries running all night so it was a little noisy. There is a double glazing of sorts, but it doesn't cut out all the noise, and having a window open at night is impossible. This didn't bother us at all, and we slept well, but I can imagine it wouldn't please everyone.

The staff were really nice and friendly and we ate in the restaurant one evening. The food was really good and nicely presented, but a bit strange. I had a starter that consisted of two poached eggs in a mint soup - stone cold!!

Fine for a stay if you are on a budget and need to base yourself in the area.

Room Tip: Not near the road
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 February 2017

Charm is fine if the hotel kept the standards consistent. I had personable greeting and chat then no-one was around. The rooms clean but dark and creaking. The bathroom was dreaded because it was not modern or useless.
With the vain hope that a 2nd or 3rd visit would make it better, I returned. Twas all the same; dark, forbidding, creaking ancient- smelling corridors. Thankfully I was and am not disabled.
Wifi poor to bad. Parking super!

Room Tip: Stay here if you must. They must give it an uplift. Don't sleep roadside.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2016

Our stay here last night could have been written by the previous reviewer, as nothing appears to have changed! The outside of the building desperately needs a lick of paint, and the orange corridor walls and purple bathrooms could do with moving out of the 1970s. The dining room however takes you back to the 1930s with it's dark wood floor, ceiling, walls, tables, chairs, display cabinets.....if it wasn't for the silver cutlery then we'd have struggled to see. Having said that, the room was clean and comfortable, if a little dated (great dark wood furniture again...) and there was free parking and wifi. Breakfast was served at the table, basically fruit juice, coffee and croissants/ breads with a couple of jams. Fairly basic but fresh and enjoyable, although I missed the ubiquitous ham, cheese and hard boiled eggs. The guy running the place, and the only other chap we saw during the entire stay, were friendly and helpful. Dinner is reviewed separately as that was another interesting experience! So it was different, quite acceptable, but nothing spectacular. Unless you like dark wood, orange and purple....

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2012

For some reason, we had made a note a couple of years ago to use Saulieu for an overnight stay at some future time. So we did. To be honest, I'm not sure why. Apart from its nominal historical interest as a stop-off on the Paris-Lyon route, there's not much to see or do. We failed to find a single place to eat out.

Anyway, La Poste was not our first choice but turned out not so bad. The room was large, old furniture (large wooden beds) but basically clean and comfortable. Everything was in working order. It could have done with a spot of decoration perhaps, but it seemed as though the corridors had recently been done (interesting, bright colours & modern art on the walls; ostensibly a clash with the history of the building, but it worked for me) so perhaps they're planning it.
As an aside, it has its own car park, locked at night.

Restaurant is very stylish (in what seemed to me to be essentially pre-war decor theme, and again quite old tables & chairs), but not cheap. Our evening meal seemed OK to me (but I'm no gourmet).

Breakfast is also served in the restaurant which feels odd, because the restaurant is definitely desgined for the evening. It's all served at the table, not a buffet. Again, it was OK, but nothing to write home about.

At the time, I had the impression this place had mixed reviews, hence it not being our first choice. But its OK, for a stopover at least. I don't think it represents outstanding value for money, but it was..... OK. Just that. Perfectly acceptable, nothing to wax lyrical about, nothing to critcise too harshly.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family