“Nice, modern hotel”

Holiday Inn Dijon Toison d'Or
Ranked #7 of 59 Hotels in Dijon
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Stayed here a few times - nice, modern hotel. On edge of city next to shopping mall, with large car park. However, tram link is right outside - so short (10min) tram ride in town. We stayed in a family room and my kids love the place, mainly as there is a small pool and they like taking the tram into town.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2017

The overall impression of the hotel is positive. We stayed one night while travelling to the South of France.
Location of the hotel is very good. Not always very easy to find from the highway but entrance to highway nearby when continuing the trip. Hotel is located next to a shopping center and this is a great advantage. For people who stay longer or that want to discover Dijon, tram stops in front of the hotel so very convenient. Parking area is private and "closed" with a barrier but as we were not asked for or name or so on entering and the barrier was just opened to us after ringing the bell, it is not extremely secured.
We arrived around 13h so our room(s) were not ready yet but the way the receptionist communicated this was not what I would call friendly.
The actual check inn was down smoothly. First impression of the room was okay. But after finding out some "details" my personal opinion is that price-quality could be a lot better. Very comfortable bed, also the "sofa-bed" for children. If you need to stay with 4 persons, even including 2 children, the room is rather small. Instant-coffee is not what I expect for that price, a Nespresso machine would have been more suitable. Also, for that price, a free bottle of water should be included.
Although we made a reservation for 7 people in total (4 adults and 3 children) in rooms with door in between, we had only towels for 2 people in each room. We received extra ones at the reception without problems, but housekeeper should put enough towels in the rooms, especially as the sofa beds were made up so it was clear that more than 2 people would stay.
Size of bathroom is rather small but okay. Only for that price (here I go again, I know) a more spacious bedroom would be expected. We had a bath, no shower, which is a pity to us (but that is personal). Taking a shower in the bath was not comfortable at all and to me, the bathroom was very outdated with a not good working "shower head" and so on ...
Facilities in the hotel are okay. We enjoyed the sauna, children the play room a little (although the room is a bit isolated). We were looking forward to the swimming pool which looks nice but it is not heated and even on a nice and sunny day very cold. It is also a bit "uncomfortable" to swim next to the people who drink or eat on the terrace but this is not too bad.
We decided to use the dinner in the hotel restaurant. We started at the "covered terrace" but as it started raining, we had to move inside. Of course, that was a pity but the hotel cannot be blamed for the weather change. And the restaurant inside is also very nice atmosphere.
I did not think the waiter was very friendly, he also seemed inexperienced, maybe a student doing some holiday works. We checked the menu at the entrance of the hotel and wanted to go for the "dinner menu" of 30 EUR, only available from Monday to Thursday. That menu turned out not to be available that day, although it was Wednesday. Totally unacceptable to me! The menu is rather limited and prices are rather high to me. We decided to go for a main dish only due to this.
When we ordered the dishes of the children, we asked to have a burger without cheese which was no problem according to the waiter.
We first had to wait long for drinks, water cooler for or wine came after 30 minutes or so. We were still having our aperitif when main dish was served. First adults were served and not children, not acceptable again. When children received their burger, there was cheese on it and the bun was completely burned. This should not leave any kitchen! Salad was served without any bread.
We made a remark to the waiter who gave us a bit a "stupid" look. At that moment another waiter, I think the maître or at least a leading person, walked by and overheard. When it was clear we had requested burgers without cheese and the buns were burned, the maître made clear to the waiter this could not be done and apologized. We took of the cheese and we received, after nearly 15 minutes, new buns but children had finished eating by then. We had a positive surprise when it turned out we did not have to pay for the children's menu due to the problems with it. We found this a very friendly gesture of the maître and this was really appreciated. It compensated a bit for the trouble during the dinner.
After a good night sleep it was time for the breakfast. Breakfast was okay, but again, for that price I expect more. Choice of breads was okay, also the choice of meat, cheese, hot items. You could squeeze your own orange juice if you wanted. The coffee was in a type of flasks and therefore not really hot. For a hotel with this rating and prices that should be a lot better. Choice of cereal, fruits and yogurt could have been better too. What is strange to me is that you can check out until 12h but breakfast is only until 10h, weird. As we were only travelling through it was okay for us but if I would be staying a few days this would bother me. Besides the coffee, there was another point I cannot accept for a breakfast of that price: it took a long time for staff to replace the food that had been finished and some things were not replaced anymore when finished (like chocolate breads and so on), totally unacceptable if this happens more than 1 hour before the end of breakfast time.
Overall conclusion: okay hotel with okay services and breakfast but to me price-quality was not okay. Although I realize this is "high season" to me this hotel room was too expensive for the given luxury and quality. We had a good night sleep, which was important, but I will probably not choose this hotel again on a next occasion.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dijon Toison d'Or, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Hi Ingetjevd!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and choosing us among your many lodging options in the area. I'm very sorry to learn that the value in our pricing and breakfast options didn't live up to your expectations. This is certainly not what our hotel strives for, nor is this our usual or our best.

We learned valuable lessons from your experience on this visit and we'll take the necessary measures to ensure the issues you have identified do not reoccur. We have specifically addressed your concerns to our restaurant team as a material in their continued training to be better at what we do. On the upside, it's good to know that you were able to sleep soundly.

We would like to thank you for making Holiday Inn your home away from home. We are all eager to showcase to you a more refined experience on your next stay with us.

Many thanks,

Gian M
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Neat hotel, good adequate service. Perfect location, near highway, Next to Subway which bring you easely to city-center. Also Next to very big shoppingmall with the largest primark and Carrefour ever!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2017

We stayed here for a night on the way to Italy. It was great to be able to jump in the pool after several hours driving and relax for a couple of hours. The room was very modern and comfortable and had everything we wanted. We ate in the restaurant and to food was ok but breakfast was excellent. The staff were very helpful and attentive. Overall a pretty good hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2017

Although it was my mistake and I realized what I had done a nano second after Id booked the room and put the wrong Monday and Tuesday dates into the Hotel.com search engine, having rang Hotels.com straight away they contacted the Dijon Hotel to amend the booking.

Well with it being a mistake made two minutes earlier you would have thought that they would show some mercy but NO, as it was a non-refundable booking I have now lost the money I paid and they get a nice clean room on the night I would be staying.

So a lesson to me, dont be an idiot and get your days wrong and/or a lesson on the Hotels.com website be careful as it defaulted to a date I didnt put in and lastly dont think that Holiday Inn will show any mercy if you make a genuine error.

Following this I will now re-book my room and I will make sure its the right days and also know that I WONT EVER AGAIN book a room with the Holiday Inn chain.

Their loss as luckily having used a night I had earned on Hotels.com the mistake in real money only cost me about £20.

But as I had yet to book my return trip which would have been at the same hotel for two nights they have lost over £300 of my money...this i will now spend with someone who deserves it.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Dijon Toison d'Or, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Hello NH1964,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Dijon, France. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A.