“Good value, great host ”
Review of Hotel Gambetta

Hotel Gambetta
Ranked #76 of 82 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Reviewed 2 August 2016 via mobile

The owner was so friendly and helpful. The hotel is very cheap and you get what you pay for. But the room was clean and the bed was comfortable and the owner was fabulous, really friendly, funny and helpful. We loved it. We even had the entertainment of the couple in the room next door loudly shagging at 9am...which only added to the entertainment value. For. Cheap night in Malo look no further.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank jfrankcom

Reviewed 31 July 2015

very helpful owner, clean, lovely surroundings and views, close to the beach, in the hotel you can eat delicious French breakfast, close to 2 big stores are practically can walk on my feet because it is a sight to behold.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2015 via mobile

I don't know why people mark this hotel down. It was cheap and clean and had everything you could need. If you want more then pay more. The owner was great and very helpful. Pub is part of the hotel but no noise at all. The pub is old but the bathrooms have been updated. The shower is amazing! And to top it all off...it's only a short walk to the beach. Oh and a great bakery next door. Highly recommend for the budget traveller.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank walkingtheearth2015
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The room was smelly, as if it had been closed for a long time or damp. It wasn't clear when we booked by telephone that we were entitled to a shared bathroom, which was not very clean. The ratio is 1 toilet and 1 shower for every floor = 4 or 5 rooms. The sink in the room didn't work and the toilet didn't have a sink, so I wonder where people washed their hands. The bed was ok, but I was unhappy to see that the clean sheets were stored in messy shelves inside the shared shower, so they could easily fell or get dust, etc. I wasn't brave enough to use the shower, I waited until being home the next day. We were looking for a budget place, but this was way too much, we'd rather have expended more for a nicer and cleaner place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mjorihuela
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Having tried to find rooms in more than about 10 hotels in and around the area from St Cast to East of St Malo I was somewhat relieved that Gambetta was able to offer me the four rooms I needed for my team, and at a very good price. The bar and reception are basic but nice and clean and the owner couldn't do enough for us. The rooms are basic, exactly what I would expect for the price. It was a bit noisy due to internal noise in the morning - thin walls and the main shower room above my room (being used by several guests one after the other) and rattling pipes, I also confess I slept in my sleeping bag because I have a bit of an issue with budget hotel beds, but that was my choice and I saw no evidence to suggest that the bed and bedding were questionable (although in truth I didn't look!). We didn't have breakfast but there was bread and croissant available at tables in the bar set out for breakfast. This is a genuinely budget hotel that is ageing and needs some maintenance and modernising so don't expect any more for your money, the owner is a gem though.

Room Tip: I had the en-suite (6) it has a small shower that looks like something out of the 1940s but it worke...