Hotel Gambetta
US$142
US$151
US$142
Hotels.com
Ibis Styles St Malo Port(Saint-Malo)(Great Value!)
US$154
Hotel l'Univers(Saint-Malo)
US$125
US$118
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The room was smelly, as if it had been closed for a long time or damp. It wasn't clear when we booked by telephone that we were entitled to a shared bathroom, which was not very clean. The ratio is 1 toilet and 1 shower for every floor = 4 or 5 rooms. The sink in the room didn't work and the toilet didn't have a sink, so I wonder where people washed their hands. The bed was ok, but I was unhappy to see that the clean sheets were stored in messy shelves inside the shared shower, so they could easily fell or get dust, etc. I wasn't brave enough to use the shower, I waited until being home the next day. We were looking for a budget place, but this was way too much, we'd rather have expended more for a nicer and cleaner place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mjorihuela
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Having tried to find rooms in more than about 10 hotels in and around the area from St Cast to East of St Malo I was somewhat relieved that Gambetta was able to offer me the four rooms I needed for my team, and at a very good price. The bar and reception are basic but nice and clean and the owner couldn't do enough for us. The rooms are basic, exactly what I would expect for the price. It was a bit noisy due to internal noise in the morning - thin walls and the main shower room above my room (being used by several guests one after the other) and rattling pipes, I also confess I slept in my sleeping bag because I have a bit of an issue with budget hotel beds, but that was my choice and I saw no evidence to suggest that the bed and bedding were questionable (although in truth I didn't look!). We didn't have breakfast but there was bread and croissant available at tables in the bar set out for breakfast. This is a genuinely budget hotel that is ageing and needs some maintenance and modernising so don't expect any more for your money, the owner is a gem though.

Room Tip: I had the en-suite (6) it has a small shower that looks like something out of the 1940s but it worked perfectly. The toilet was tiny (the cubicle rather than the hardware) but it worked fine. My colleague had a different room (3) that had a bidet adjacent to the bed and a handbasin. Rooms 4, 5 and 6 are not en suite and there is a toilet next to room 4 and the shower is upstairs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I loved this place Andy made me and Heidi feel like we were staying in his house such a personal service would definitely come back and stay again it's not the Ritz but the personal touch of Andy and the price more than made up for this

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Glensmith1979
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Seriously, if you are a family considering stopping in St Malo either for a break or 1 night stop on your way to, or from your destination in this hotel - THINK AGAIN. The smell upon entering the room was the equivalent of walking into the hatching chamber from the movie Aliens, and clearly, the cleanliness and overall presentation of sanitary facilities are of no concern at all to the management or owner of the hotel. Disgusting is quite honestly the only word in my limited dictionary of the English language I can find. And yes, I am being honest. This is no negative tripadvisor post as a result of a personal gripe in any way whatsoever. My 8 and 10 year old daughters squirmed at the thought of sleeping in this room and, quite frankly, so did I. I won't mention how my wife felt. My family and another family of 4 spent the night in the beautiful town of Saint Malo dreading the thought of spending the one night ahead of us in this so called hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book one here!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank neilharsant
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We enjoyed a two night stay here and had a brilliant time. We booked two quadruple/family rooms as there were nine of us in all (five children) and we were welcomed with a smile and told to treat it as our home. The rooms are basic but clean, just what we needed. The nearest beach is a short walk straight down the road and its not too far to the old town and docks. We didn't need to go far to find some good restaurants and the hotel bar was great fun! We would definitely recommend this hotel for a cheap and cheerful stay in St Malo.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family