“Superb food”

Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 September 2018

Our second trip here prior to catching a ferry back to the UK. Previous visit had opted for the fixed menu at €35 which was excellent but this time went for the menu Homard at €80 odd euros. Starter was Fruits de mer for me and Foi gras for my son. Mains were Lobster one rotiserie one grilled the former the better lobster the latter the better sauce both good mind you. Desserts both goodand a bottle of muscadet sur lie reasonably priced.

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

we had a great time picking our 3 dish menu from 4 diff choices in each course - both starters, the actual dinner and dessert.. the price was amazingly only 17€ each ..with our drinks we got a small bowl of popcorn with curry taste which we thought was quirky.

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Rented a house across the street and dined here our first night at the suggestion of the house owner. We were not disappointed. Must be good as filled with locals and no Americans. Went with the 3 course tasting menu for 27 Euros as the 60 Euro menu was too much food. Started with Cancale #3 oysters which were so fresh and briny could have eaten more than the order of 6. Entree was a local fish on a bed of creamy risotto....melt in your mouth delicious. Finished with a cheese plate and hazelnut chocolate mousse. Nice wine list with reasonable prices. All in all a delightful dinner. I’m sure we’ll return as we are at the beginning of a 6 week stay.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

Good value - has its regulars who appreciate this, and so can get pretty full.The fish soup is really tasty. We had the 'rumsteak,' which was cooked to perfection, but all the fish mains looked really good too. A very good bottle of Beaujolias for 23 E to boot. Great service, good atmosphere.

Reviewed 12 April 2018

I arrived just after opening and without a reservation, which meant I got the table by the door, although there was only one other table occupied. This didn't bother me too much as I could observe what was going on, such a lot of frantic phoning from the reception desk which seemed to be looking for staff for the evening. Eventually a couple arrived who went through to the kitchen in street clothes and emerged in staff uniforms. There was also an interesting debate between the other table and a waiter who explained at length their choice of fish couldn't be cooked the way they requested. (This is one of the à la carte options)
I chose from the menu a “mille-feuilles “ of herring, foie gras and cooked potato slices, basically a stack sitting on top of lettuce in a balsamic vinegar dressing. OK, with decent ingredients but nothing to get excited about. Next I had “merlu” (whiting?) on top of risotto. This was all white (pardon pun), but it was surrounded by a pool of a heavily reduced meat jus. The rice was very creamy, not far from a rice pudding, and whatever flavour it had was overpowered by the jus. The fish was alright, but a little over cooked for my taste and again didn't stand up to the intensity of the jus. The dish was garnished with “pommes allumettes” - potato straws. The first few were OK, but underneath they were soggy, as I hope my photo shows. I didn’t finish and told the waiter I hadn't enjoyed the dish and asked for the bill. He made no comment. When the bill was brought by the receptionist I asked her if the waiter had passed on my comment and she said no. Again she said nothing. (I speak fluent French.)
Perhaps I was unlucky on a night with staff issues, but I’m not tempted to return to the closest restaurant to where I’m staying.