“An oasis in a sea of meat”
Review of IZBA

IZBA
Ranked #8 of 228 Restaurants in Perigueux
Price range: US$11 - US$23
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 March 2017

If you are vegetarian eating out can be difficult, particularly in this area of France which is renowned for its meat cuisine. Izba is therefore a great discovery for anyone on a meat free diet. This small restaurant is both vegetarian and organic. The first and most important thing to say that booking is absolutely essential. On the day we went a stream of people came, one after another, hoping for a table, at lunchtime on Saturday, but it was fully booked, as it often is. The proprietor is friendly, welcoming, and full of friendly advice. For those who are visiting from abroad, he also speaks extremely good English. Starters, mains and puddings are displayed on three boards on the wall and the cooking, by his wife, is excellent. Prices are reasonable, the food is delicious, and good wine and also beer is offered. The chessboard is excellent, and very generous. We had a sorrel flan and a fondant made of Chestnut flour and nettle for starters, followed by a delicious mushroom risotto, and a potato roll stuffed with cabbage and tofu. As you can see, the ingredients are interesting, and very tasty.

Reviewed 18 December 2016

IZBA is situated along a row of fast food restos and you could easily walk past the door without realising how special it is.

We've visited IZBA twice for lunch. We ordered from a board with 2 or 3 each of entrees, main courses and desserts. The food comprises imaginative, tasty, vegetarian dishes. It's easily among the best vegetarian cuisine we've found in the region...well anywhere really.

Service is a bit bohemian but it is appropriate to the homely atmosphere and the proprietor is super sympa.

1  Thank John C
Reviewed 22 August 2016

Excellent food, excellent service and very friendly atmosphere. The owner is extremely helpful and said they always include at least one vegan dish and one gluten free dish on their menu. The food was also creatively displayed on your plate. Really good and will definitely return.

Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

The restaurant offered three starter choices, and two mains and two desserts and the menu changes daily. We had one starter, two mains and two drinks and the cost was Euro 32 - the prices are very reasonable for good food particularly with the lack of vegetarian food in this region. The person serving us was very pleasant and made us feel welcome.

Reviewed 27 September 2015 via mobile

We booked a table for lunch to celebrate our wedding anniversary and I had high hopes as the menu is vegetarian and organic, and I was hoping for several vegan options. I was really looking forward to dining here. Sadly, my high hopes weren't realised.
Two of the three starters were suitable for vegans but only one of the three main courses which was a dish I don't like (stuffed tomato) was. Consequently we just ordered a starter. The gentleman serving us was not happy and I felt uncomfortable, particularly when he said we'd be going next door for a kebab afterwards! He kindly offered to do stuffed courgette instead but I told him that I was having courgette as my starter. He told me to have the salad instead!
We ate our pleasant enough starters of a salad and a courgette caviar (without bread, which had been given to the people on the next table with their starter), left our payment and left. I felt awkward. This wasn't the anniversary meal I'd envisaged.
For vegetarians I'm sure this is a great restaurant and it was busy, however I don't think I'll be going back. Very disappointing.

1  Thank Mymya3
DariaSobow, Gérant at IZBA, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2015

Dear Madame,

We regret that you was disappointed by our restaurant. However, I would like to say that you did not precise that you were vegan, while you reserved. Our restaurant is vegetarian, we use milk and eggs and we've never positioned ourselves as vegan restaurant. However we offer one or two vegan options each day in each category. So we are very surprised by your reaction now. We proposed you two vegan options as the main dishes, stuffed tomatoes with boulgour and vegetables and also courgettes with lentils and potatoes roosts. We could do something else for you if your attitude were positif: no eggs, no milk, no tomatoes, no courgettes... it's ok for us, but not when you have an attitude that we felt disturbing you and you decline all our offers with close minding.
We hope that this was just a misunderstanding and we are really sorry for the bread you did not get, it was definitely not intentional.