“Delightful dining room, lovely food, pleasant staff”
Review of Le Bayonnais

Le Bayonnais
Ranked #31 of 318 Restaurants in Bayonne
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 September 2017

The restaurant is located alongside the River Nive in the centre of the city. Outside dining is available if weather allows. The interior restaurant is very nicely decorated with a touch of elegance.

The food is well prepared, fresh and tasty. Portions are more than sufficient for the average diner. The menu is quite extensive as is the wine list. Prices of food and drink are reasonable given the quality.

Service is quick and efficient and the staff all very pleasant. We visited the restaurant twice during a three day visit to Bayonne, something very unusual for us.

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

I had not been in this restaurant in many years. It has been remodeled and given a more modern decor (not necessarily my style I have to say). But the dining was superb as always!!
We had the sardines salad and the foie gras as appetizers, both delicious.
As entrees we ordered the lamb and the magret. Both incredible as well! The potatoes that came with my Magret were crispy and perfect. For the kids we ordered an entrecôte to share which was also perfect.
For dessert we had the Tarte aux figues (I had it there once and had never tried something so crispy and delicious so I was happy to repeat) and the profiteroles which my children happily finished to the last bite.
Service is efficient but not friendly or happy. Very french indeed... part of the experience I suppose.
The atmosphere in this restaurant is not too relaxed, there were visitors of all ages mostly french (which is a good sign), and most people were nicely dressed. Regarding whether this is a children-friendly place, I would say not really. I only saw our two kids and another little girl. And the personnel didn't seem too interested or fond of them. So bring entertainment to keep them quiet if you're with little ones.

We paid 140€ for two appetizers, three entrees, two desserts, one cheese plate,one aperitif, one Demi-bouteille of red wine and one small coffee. Not cheap but worth every bite!

Reviewed 20 August 2016

Dinner for two outside, having not booked a table. Attentive staff, with prompt service and food. Had excellent main courses and desserts. Plenty of choices of places to eat next to the river in Bayonne, but we could not fault Le Bayonnais on this return visit.

Reviewed 8 May 2016

This is a conveniently located, mostly outdoor restaurant where you will have ample time to watch the tide come in or out while you wait for personality free staff to serve very adequate food in a perfunctory manner. Only the woman who took our order appeared to be genuinely angry at the world while the rest appeared to have been recently lobotomized. This is the perfect spot to relax or dine by the river when all your other restaurant choices are unavailable.

2  Thank Thomas G
Reviewed 8 April 2016

We had lunch there, risotto langoustines and sole . Both were good ( sole) to excellent (risotto) Excellent desert list also. Service was professional. The restaurant is very pretty inside and I can imagine in nice weather that sitting outside along the Nice River is charming. Great location right next to the Basques Museum. A delightful refreshing stop for lunch.