“Best balti ever!”

Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 1 September 2016

Booked for a Sunday night with a group of friends, arrived about 15mins late and table had been re-allocated, but they put themselves out and got us sorted within 15 minutes(so don't be late) but food and service was really great would recommend, had the Balti and it was very good, spicey without too much heat, naan is enormous

Write a ReviewReviews (1,974)

Reviewed 1 September 2016 via mobile

Have visited Akbars several times in past few years ...
But not recently ....so we thought we would revisit ..

Must say at this early stage in review this will be absolute last visit !

Arrival host wouldn't allow access to a table until all the party where present, even though I explained they were due shortly as only parking the car.
This lead to a ten minute wait as then no tables available.

Had no choice but to stand in the bar area, which might I add is not customer friendly to anyone with mobility issues as sofa and couches have been replaced and no sit down area available unless you can reach a perched up ledge by the Windows.

Eventually lead to the table , dark and poorly lit interior ...

Too dark for me In my opinion ... Although the large light fitting where interesting .. Arabesque theme .

Maximum capacity to squeeze as many dinners as possible.which was annoying as loud dinners next to us and difficult to hold a conversation!

Order given for our table ..

If for any reason you wanted anything else all other waiters convienantly turned deaf and wouldn't respond if you tried asking for service !they just made out they hadn't heard you and carried on .

Starters of seekh kebab ( no taste and red meat inside )
Chapli kebab was ok , and chicken tikka so small portion size cut in half !
Food bland so asked for chilli sauce... Even this needed the spicy content heating up...

Mains of lamb curry and potatoes served by chef .... I asked him if there was a shortage of potatoes as only one small potato in sight !
Chicken biyirani portion was decent .although the chick pea masala sauce added to the dish I would take a rain check on.
Only thing I can praise is the large nan!cobsitantly huge and tasty.so happy with that .

Waited for ever for our waiter and to ask for the bill...
Eventually another payment card holding waiter arrived who seemed to be in charge of taking payment from dinners ....
Asked if meal was good and serice ,and quickly went on to rudely ask if we would like to ADD a service charge to the bill !
How very unprofessional and rude !
No wait of seeing if customer wanted to add it themselves or leave any tips on the table ... HAD the service or experience been suggestive of this...

Have never experienced such a thing in any restaurant to date !
Talk about putting dinners on the spot !

Needless to say all in all the whole experience given will not be rushing back again in a hurry for the Akbar touch ....

To top it off charged for the chilli sauce ! ( because the food was so bland ???))

Reviewed 31 August 2016 via mobile

Hi Went to Akbars with friends. Loved huge naan they served and stylish decor. Negatives - had to wait ages to be seated, alcoholic environment very off putting if your a non-drinker. Very noisy too!!

Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

Unless you want your evening ruined because you have to wait 3 hours for a table dont bother trying. Go to the indian next door. Amazing food and service next door.

Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

So I went out for a "date" lol

I chose this place has I had eaten there years ago for different occasions and loved the food.

Ok so tonight we were given a make shift tiny table that was kinda like at the end of another table at an awkward angle.

Not comfortable not cute!

So I as you do, I asked to be moved which we were finally...

I know akbars for the quality of food...especially their Handi.

So we ordered:

Chicken dish

Pilau rice

All I can say is this:

Oil, oil, oil

Portion size small especially for the price.

Nothing about nothing to rave about.

Ok so the nan bread as always delicious and we'll presented.

Packed noisy decent decor but lost with the dim lighting.

Me personally, nah not for me.

No unique flavours to direct me back to eat at akbars.